System Restore monitors all partitions. So, for example, if you delete an executable file, you can have the system state revert to a specific restore point to recreate or repair the executable file. When you revert to a restore point, however, you lose all changes since that point, except for changes to files in the My Documents folder and documents you've created with applications such as Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel.

If you use System Restore and don't like the new system state, you can undo the process and restore the machine to the system state it had before you ran System Restore. Alternatively, you can run System Restore to change the system state to a different restore point.

Running System Restore

If you can boot Windows:

Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore. Click the Restore My Computer to an earlier time, next.

If you cannot boot Windows:

Boot into safe mode. Click the System Restore link. Click the Restore My Computer to an earlier time, next.

Creating Restore Points

Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore. In the System Restore window, click "Create a Restore Point button, next. In the window that appears, enter a description. The date and time is created automatically.

Undoing a Restoration

Reversing Restoration if you can boot your computer:

Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore. Click "Undo my last restoration", next. Click Ok to the
screen message after the reboot.

Reversing Restoration if you cannot boot your computer:

Boot into safe mode, follow the help screen and choose, "Undo my last restoration".

Note: If you have chosen the wrong restore date, follow the steps under, "Undoing a Restoration".

I want to turn off Windows XP System Restore

1) Click Start.
2) Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
3) On the System Restore tab, check Turn off System Restore or Turn off System Restore on all drives.
If you do not see the System Restore tab, you are not logged on to Windows as an Administrator.
4) Click Apply.
5) When you see the confirmation message, click Yes.
6) Click OK.

I want to turn on Windows XP System Restore

1) Click Start.
2) Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
3) On the System Restore tab, uncheck Turn off System Restore or Turn off System Restore on all drives.
If you do not see the System Restore tab, you are not logged on to Windows as an Administrator.
4) Click Apply.
5) When you see the confirmation message, click Yes.
6) Click OK.

An alternative to the usual method of enabling and disabling Windows XP's System Restore feature is to use the registry. To use this alternative, perform the following steps: Start the registry editor (regedit.exe).

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore.
If a "DisableSR" value doesn't exist, go to the Edit menu, select New, DWORD value, and create the value.
Set the value to 1 to disable System Restore or 0 to enable System Restore.

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\sr to prevent the System Restore service from starting.

Double-click Start, and set the value to 4 to stop the service from starting or to 0 for normal startup. Close the registry editor.