Thread: Ensuring a secure wifi network

Ensuring a secure wifi network

Most of the Wi-Fi home networks are extremely unsafe, either because they do not use any security mechanism, or by the belief that WEP is minimally safe.

Well, not gentlemen though, if your Wi-Fi builds its security on WEP philanthropists you are offering its network to the world. In fact there are lots of tutorials on the network protocol on how to crack WEP in minutes, with minimal knowledge of computers.

Steps to take a Wi-Fi Protected medium:
    • Change the default user name and password for your router or access point, as well as the default SSID.

• Disable the broadcasting of your SSID so that when someone wants to connect to your network have to know that there is, and what is your name. Anyway, there are tools that do not require the broadcast of the SSID to know that the network is there.

• Use WPA encryption or, much better, WPA2 (WPA is a draft of the 802.11i standard, WPA2 and the final implementation) using AES encryption (TKIP is a joke in bad taste).

• Use a long pass phrase without meaning, and with numbers and symbols. This is because if the character set to be among the test increases, the time needed to obtain a password using brute force, of course, amounts.

• MAC filtering: it is to instruct the router to only allow access to clients whose network cards have the MACs (Physical Address, a unique identifier in theory) specified. Falsifying a MAC is extremely simple, but it is another measure of protection.

Well recently we have wifi at home. This is very interesting, but except change the default name and password, which I did, the rest do not know anything ...

Greetings.

Well my case is that I have my router, you can see my network, I have protected with WEP but if the shift to WAP may appear to some as portable devices that handle wireless 802.11b can not easily capture the signal.

I have the dir MAC filtering, but I think we still discuss for a while that a wireless network is secure.

princeroyal268 Guest
    wi fi is the latest technology towards wireless networking
    it is faster also but i have doubt about its security
    Last edited by Yogesh; 30-09-2008 at 05:12 PM. Reason: External limks removed