Thread: What Qualification required to become a Drug Inspector

What Qualification required to become a Drug Inspector

In most education sites, I have seen lots of drug inspector related posts. The requirement to become a drug inspector is after the pharmacy education. But I don’t know what the processes there is to be a drug inspector. Right now I am pursuing pharmacy graduate and still in 2nd year. I believe that it has a good career option. Can anyone tell me the detailed information regarding this course or specialization?

Re: What Qualification required to become a Drug Inspector

AS far as I know that Drug inspectors are qualified persons. The specialized people only work in the area of drug manufacturing and distribution. These peoples job profile is to visit various pharmacies, laboratories and drug-manufacturing areas in order to inspect the product quality. Anyone can look forward for Drug inspector those who have completed graduation in Pharmacy or Pharmaceutical Sciences. Other than this you should be graduates in medicine with Clinical Pharmacology or Microbiology specialization. Along with this course or master degree, you should have at least 3 years experience in drug manufacturing along with testing and inspection.

There is a exam for the position of Drug inspector which you need to complete and it contains following 2 papers:

Paper 1 (pharmacy)
    maximum marks-200
    multiple choice questions-100
    exam duration-2hr

Paper 2 (general knowledge)

maximum marks-50
    multiple choice questions-50
    exam duration-1hr

Following the written test there will be Viva-Voce Test for 25 marks and after that physical fitness test.

Drug inspectors are civil servants. Their missions, as defined by the Code of Public Health are to monitor the quality of health products and practices of health professionals in collaboration with other inspectorates. This control affects all segments of the medication cycle, from manufacture to industrial and authorization on the market until its delivery to patients. Pharmacist inspectors are also involved in the control of other products: cosmetics, veterinary drugs etc. They occupy much of their time to field inspections.

The formation of this course comprises an alternation of teaching and field placements that aim to:
    • Update the scientific and technical knowledge
    • Acquire legal expertise
    • Develop methodological skills and professional know-how especially in the field of technical inspection.

The job shadowing can become familiar with different areas of the pharmaceutical inspector of public health: pharmaceutical, biomedical, hospital pharmacy ... The placements can gain first experience as a pharmacist inspector through coaching by experienced peers.

In order to take entry in the Drug inspector sector, the candidate hold one of the degrees listed below.
    • Medical Biology,
    • Pharmaceutical Sciences - Biomedical Industrial Pharmacy,
    • Hospital Pharmacy,
    • Pharmaceutical Sciences - hospital pharmacy and community
    • Pharmaceutical innovation, evaluation and production of the drug,
    • Pharmaceutical Sciences - specialized pharmacy
    • Pharmacy and public health.

Pharmacist inspectors involved in the design of public health policy and are responsible, under the authority of the Minister for Health, implementation, execution and monitoring of this policy in their jurisdiction. They control the application of laws and regulations relating to the practice of pharmacy and medical biology, activities and products and veterinary drugs. They carry out inspections of pharmacies and drug stores, places of detention of drugs by doctors and by natural and legal persons, herbal stores in accordance with the code of public health.

In my case I have gone through the following things in order to join the training.
    • Written Exam
    • Interview

The subjects include Pharmacy as well as non technical. The non technical could be anything reasoning, aptitude, general knowledge, current affairs, math and English...