Thread: How to improve negotiation skills

How to improve negotiation skills

Hello friends, I am a working for a company that requires allot of buying and selling of resources and products from the market as well from other company or vendors. Mostly, I you go there for the first time they will definitely ask higher prices for the products since we are new and also we cannot settle for products from just one vendor. We have to try different products each time we go out there and see which suits us best. So I would want know some tips regarding negotiation such that I can get the products or sell the product at the cost which I want. We really have to shell our pockets for whatever cost they would put forward so can any one please provide with some useful information.
    Last edited by Loyalpalm; 18-11-2010 at 01:59 PM.

re: How to improve negotiation skills

One of the option you can use to negotiate well whenever you are approached by other people for the selling and when they offer too high prices then the very first thing you have to do is to win his or her confidence. You should make him or her comfortable and urge him that you are going to buy the product form him and not just this product but also the other product that he will come up with. In short you have to make him realize that you are going to be remain attached to this customer for a very long time. Only then he will think of lowering the prices so as to force you to buy his product. During this session you have to be careful that you dont say any bad thing about his product and create a niche in his mind that you are surely going to buy his product.

First of all while negotiating you have to make sure that you follow a good communication skills while communicating with the vendor. Always make him feel happy and always appreciate the products which he as come up with. A soft tone can diffuse a bad situation quickly allowing for a positive resolution. Also, dont make him realize that you are just looking for the look and the feel of the product along with the exact cost that it will come and then go and buy from other vendor. Also, never try to talk about other vendor in front of him, just tell your price and stick to it until he really losses his focus and reduces the price for you and you go away happily with the product.

If you are not able to convince the vendor in lowering the price of the product then I would probably suggest you to walk away from the discussion rather than setting there and making the matter even more worse. This will pinch the vendor and he will think of lowering the prices of the product just for you so that he doesn't losses is customer. This is the strategy which is applied from the vendors point of view and he will reduce the cost so as to maintain the customers for a very long time.

Firstly, you have to make sure that you have the maximum amount of information about the other people from whom you are looking for buying the product. Also, you have to make sure that you have searched all the information related to the product you are about to buy such as the price of the product in the market or from other vendor. Also, you have to make sure that you talk as much as you can about the product so that he vendor doesn't put any cost forward to you.

Hey you can use the flinch strategy to help negotiate the prices of the product which you are looking to buy. A flinch is a visible reaction to an offer or price, you will get to know the reaction of the vendor at the instant when he approaches you to sell his product. . The objective of this negotiation tactic is to make the other people feel uncomfortable. Using this you have to make the other people feel uncomfortable about the price that he is offering such that he reduces the price for you.