Thread: Tips for CFA Exam Preparation

Tips for CFA Exam Preparation

Can i get the best tips for cfa exam. I want to apply for this exam and if any tips are given soon it would be great. Thank you

Re: Tips for CFA Exam Preparation

CFA Exam: Free Introductory Primer
    * CFA Exam: Overview of the test structure
    * CFA pointers for successful test taking
    * What to expect the day of the CFA examination
    * Guide to CFA-approved calculators

CFA Level I Study Session 15 : Free Sample
    Practice Questions
    Study Session 1 : Questions and Answers (2009 Level I CFA Exam)
    Study Session 1 : Questions (2008 Level I CFA Exam)
    Study Session 1 : Answers (2008 Level I CFA Exam)

Go to this link.

There are many ways to undertake CFA exam preparation. The CFA institute recommends a minimum amount of necessary study time for each examination as well as giving some helpful hints specific to each level of the CFA exam.

One of the first things to do for CFA exam preparation is to study. The CFA institute recommends a minimum of 250 hours of study time foe each exam. This includes reading and reviewing the curriculum set out in the candidate book of knowledge as well as taking multiple online sample and mock examinations. The CFA does warn that this may be a vast under exaggeration of the necessary amount of time due to each individual’s personal learning style, study habits, and educational background.

For overall CFA exam preparation, the CFA institute recommends that a candidate has a schedule for studying. They encourage one to block off specific time every week to study and take notes and to stick to that schedule diligently. They also highly recommend completing each task assigned in the Candidate Book of Knowledge (CBOK) even if they seem elementary.

For the level I exam, a candidate needs to master time management. To complete the 120 questions in 3 hours, a candidate must finish a question every 90 seconds. Taking timed practice tests and getting used to keeping a steady pace will allow a test taker to be much more confident when they actually take the exam. There is no penalty for wrong answers, so candidates are encouraged to guess on questions they do not know how to answer. No candidate has ever received a perfect score on and Level of the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) Exam.

For the Level II item-set exam, the CFA institute warns that since there are fewer questions, 120 compared to 240 on level I, that you will need to go slower and analyze more. Because the set-up of the item-set questions is a short reading followed by 6 multiple choice questions, they recommend that you underline and/or highlight important items in the passage.

On the Level III exam, a candidate has one session of 10 item-set questions (afternoon session) and one session of 12-15 essay questions (morning session). The item-set questions should be handled in the same manner as the level II questions were. The essay questions are only graded on content not language style or spelling. Phrases and bullet points are encouraged. When studying for Level III of the exam, the provided sample answers are intended to be far superior to those which would receive full credit on the actual examination.

Source: richard-wilson.blogspot.com

How to prepare for the Exam
    If you are like most candidates, you do not have enough time to give every Topic, Study Session, Reading, and Learning Outcome Statement first priority. You cannot master everything. Therefore, you either start at the beginning and study until you run out of time--or you prioritize.

What follows is an analysis of information which we think relevant to the issue of how to prepare for the exam, to help you decide where you should place your emphasis.

Analysis: The Background of the 2008 Exam
    It is dangerous to try to forecast the content of the exam. The only way to be confident you can pass the exam is to have a disciplined approach and build up a thorough understanding of the CFA Institute's Body of Knowledge. You will be tested on your knowledge of the syllabus and your skill and ability in answering questions based on this Body of Knowledge. Make sure you do lots of practice questions to test your knowledge and see where you need to go revise further.

For more information see here.