Thread: How to become a District Magistrate

How to become a District Magistrate

I wanted to get some information, so can anyone tell me what is the complete procedure to become a District Magistrate? Also, what are all the age limits and qualifications for the examination of District Magistrate? Once I have qualified the exam of UPSC then will I be eligible to go for the District Magistrate of any district? Also what will be the salary of a District Magistrate? If anyone has some information about it then please let me know? Thanks

Re: How to become a District Magistrate

Yes, after you have completed the UPSC civil service examination with a good rank then you can become an officer of the Indian Administrative services. After getting 1 or 2 promotions when you are IAS officer then you will become a District Magistrate of a district. You dont have to do anything to become a DM after entering into IAS because you will be promoted automatically to the post of District Magistrate.

If you want to become a District Magistrate then you will have to write IAS exam and secure a rank within 100. The age limit for this exam is between 21 to 30 years and it is same for OBC, SC and ST reservations as well. You need to have a Bachelor's Degree of a recognized University with atleast one of the following subjects, namely - Botany, Chemistry, Geology, Mathematics, Physics, etc, or else a Bachelor degree in Agriculture.

I dont think you will be able to select any District of your own choice. You are limited to choose the state while filling main forms and if you are able to get a very high rank then there are more chances for you to get a State of your choice. There are some transfers of IAS/IPS officers in your or any state available. This transfers are in the hand of State goverment. Only the CM of the state can give orders to transfer any officer but only within that state.