Thread: What is the maximum age limit for appearing in IAS?

What is the maximum age limit for appearing in IAS?

I want to appear for the IAS exam and I am of age 26. Usually the government have maximum age limit of 27 years. Is it same for IAS or is it different. Can someone tell me about it? I need to know it as I have started preparing for the exam and I want to appear for it. Can someone provide me information regarding this?

Re: What is the maximum age limit for appearing in IAS?

The minimum age limit for appearing for IAS is 21 years and the maximum age limit that is required for entering in IAS is 30 years. Both, maximum age limit and minimum age limit are as with reference to common date, which is August 1. The age limits that I have mentioned are for people who come under the general category. It will be different for other classes and reserved categories of people. You can check out the UPSC website for more details on the age limits for IAS.

The minimum age limit for IAS remains same for every category. The difference comes only in the maximum age limit of the different classes and categories. For example, there is a relaxation of 5 years for people who come under SC or ST in India. This means if you came under SC or ST category, you can try for IAS till age of 35 years. Similarly, other backward classes as declared by government of India will get relaxation of 3 years on maximum age limit required for IAS. So again if you are from backward class and it comes under this criterion, then you can try for IAS till age of 33 years.

The maximum age limit required for IAS again changes if the person is domiciled in Jammu and Kashmir between the period of January 1, 1980 and December 31, 1989. For the people who come under this class will get relaxation of 5 years. So people who got themselves domiciled in mentioned period from Jammu and Kashmir can try for place in IAS till maximum age of 35 years. If you are personnel from Defense services of India who has been disabled by foreign hostiles then you will get relaxation of 3 years for applying for IAS. This also applies to personnel from Defense services of India who were injured in disturbed areas or have been released from services due to various reasons.

If you have been serving in Defense Services in India for at least 5 years with 1st August as a reference date, then you can get relaxation of 5 years for IAS. This also applies for the people who have worked as Commissioned Officers and ECOs / SSCOs under military services of India. Even a person with physical disability who has served under these mentioned services will get same amount of relaxation for IAS. This is not applicable for people who have not completed any examination or assignment that comes under above mentioned services. People who come under this category will not be accepted.

Actually what G-MAT is saying is correct, but to be perfect, you will have to apply for resignation from the current military service you are working for. Let me tell you that to get a NOC or experience certificate from military services, it will take time of 3 months. So plan your actions accordingly. It shouldn’t happen that till you get NOC from military services to apply for IAS, you have passed the maximum age limit. Also people with physical disabilities like blindness, deaf and mute or orthopedic handicap will get age relaxation of 10 years on maximum age limit.