Thread: What type of Qualification is needed for Food Processing Industry

What type of Qualification is needed for Food Processing Industry

I have completed my HSC with chemistry and I am looking forward to explore my career in Food Processing Industry. I have come across colleges offering courses in food processing conducting entrance exams but I am not sure if this is a Right Career for Me or not. Is there anyone who can guide me here through the negative and positive points regarding career in Food Processing Industry so that I can take my final decision??

Re: What type of Qualification is needed for Food Processing Industry

It is good to start after HSC, there is a good scope in Food Processing Industry if you are interested in it and can prepare yourself for it. Food Processing Industry is a challenging sector and there are various numbers of jobs like managers, food technologists, engineering graduates etc.

The candidate has to go through tasks like cleaning raw material, chopping, blanching, crushing, mixing, cooking of the food item, adding preservatives, final packaging, etc. You will find a number of courses in food processing like BSc in home science, food technology specialization in food processing etc. The fee for these courses varies according to the specialization you will be going through.

I think I am prepared for it and I really don’t have any issues in perusing in Food Processing Industry. Anyways I wanted to know if there are any scholarships available for the candidates?? How much I can earn after completing the studies as a fresher?? Which are the posts for which I will be able to apply?

Yes there are scholarships for candidates who are interested in studying food processing. As far as I am aware there are two major scholarships for candidates, NAARM ICAR Senior Research Fellowship and Ramalingaswami Fellowship. There are some other scholarships that are offered for merit students like SK Patil Loan Scholarships and JN Tata Endowment Scholarships etc. if you live in metro city then you can earn salary Rs 8000 – 12,000 as a fresher and can earn Rs 15,000 – 25,000 with work experience.

As far as the Positives/Negatives aspect of career in Food Processing Industry is concerned there are good jobs but one need to have specific qualities. You will get a good job with an attractive Salary package but quality jobs are centered mostly in metro cities.

Below are the post’s for which you will be able to apply after completing your studies.
    • Research Scientists: They have to work carry out their research in making packaged food better like yield, flavor, nutritive value, etc.
    • Food technologists: Their task is to offer techniques for preservation, conservation, processing of food items, ensuring there is no contamination and adulteration in the packed food items. They have to make sure that their product is having top quality nutritional value along with quality raw materials.
    • Engineers: The food processing Engineers has to plan, design, improve and maintain entire processing system of their company products.
    • Organic Chemists: They are qualified professionals in organic chemistry and their task is to ensure method of converting raw materials to processed food.
    • Biochemists: They have to inspect flavor, texture, storage, quality of packaged products, and fulfill consumers need.
    • Analytical Chemists: They work as quality analyst and make sure that the prime quality packaging of foods and beverages are perfect.
    • Home Economists: They have to ensure that the instructions on the containers containing food products are correct.
    • Managers and accountants: They are in to management of the processing unit and work as managers and accountants. They also take part in supervising the production process.

I wanted to add that there are a number of universities and institutes in India offering different courses but these are the top institutes:
    • National Sugar Institute
    • National Dairy Research Institute
    • MS University, Vadodara
    • Gujarat and Central Food Technology Research Institute, Mysore
    • Krishi Vishwavidyalaya, Himachal Pradesh
    • Fruit Technology Institute, Lucknow
    • Central Institute of Fisheries Education
    • IGNOU

Here is the list of Top Companies in Food Processing Industry:
    • Amul
    • Godrej Industrial Limited
    • Dabur India Ltd
    • PepsiCo India Holdings
    • Nestle India Pvt Ltd
    • Britannia Industries Ltd
    • ITC Limited
    • Parle Products Pvt Ltd
    • Agro Tech Foods
    • Perfetti India Ltd
    • Cadbury India Ltd
    • Hindustan Lever Limited
    • Milkfood
    • MTR Foods limited
    • Gits Food Products Pvt Ltd

Thanks for the vast information, anyways I live in Mumbai and I wanted to know if you all are aware of the best institute here?? It will be helpful if anyone from you all can provide me with free structure of courses offered. Further help regarding this will be highly appreciated.

You can check out “Mumbai University Institute of Chemical Technology” and “All India Institute of Local Self Government” the offer diploma in food technology:

Mumbai University Institute of Chemical Technology:
    Address: Mumbai University Institute of Chemical Technology,
    Nathalal Parikh Marg,
    Matunga,
    Pin-400019,
    Mumbai, Maharashtra Contact Details: Phone: 33611111
    Fax: 33611020

All India Institute of Local Self Government:
    Address: All India Institute of Local Self-Government
    M.N. Roy Human Development Campus,
    Plot No.6, F-Block, Bandra Kurla Complex,
    T.P.S. Road No. 12, Behind Government