Thread: Which one is better Mechanical Engineering or Electrical Engineering?

Which one is better Mechanical Engineering or Electrical Engineering?

Currently I am doing my HSC (12th Standard) with Science stream from a well reputed college. i know there is a whole year for me to think about my further engineering studies but I am very much curious to know about engineering courses. However I have done enough research about some of the engineering courses and ultimately I ended up deciding to do either Mechanical Engineering or Electrical Engineering. To be frank, amongst these two courses I am unable to make out which one should I prefer. Which amongst these two can make my future brighter and leave me with numerous scopes?

Re: Which one is better Mechanical Engineering or Electrical Engineering?

It simply depends upon you I guess. Now if you do not have any idea even about the definition of these both courses then definitely you must find it difficult to choose one amongst the two but if you are well aware of them then you shouldn’t find any issue.

Anyways in short and clear words let me explain you about both these engineering courses. Look Electrical Engineering is completely related circuit, electricity, wiring and all. Overall you are going to be an electrical expert after doing Electrical Engineering. With Mechanical Engineering you can be a Mechanical expert who will allow you learn about motors, engines and other automobile vehicle. So which one looks interesting to you?

Not in detail but I have the overview knowledge of both the courses like you explained. The only confusion I am having is which would allow me to open up my career more widely. Whenever I ask people about the best course amongst the two either even they get confuse or they name one of them. But I never found a huge section of people talking about any one of them. Seems like both of them are well balanced and also loved by many people. But I can’t be one of them. I will have to somehow choose one of these two but how. Doing both the courses together is obviously not possible. How come it is possible that two courses are at the same top position, there might be some difference between two of them (not with the definition but with the scope).

Yes there is a huge difference between both the course’s scopes and career orientation. I don’t know why people are finding it difficult to explain you about the current top rated course. You can easily get the detailed information from internet. Anyways according to the current listing the best engineering course amongst both these courses is Electrical Engineering and then comes the Mechanical Engineering. Now do not think that Electrical engineering is better than mechanical engineering only for one of two sites. According to the 2012 listing Electrical Engineering has been as usual rated as better than Mechanical.

It has been said that Electrical Engineering is highly job orientated course where after the completion of the course you can get a better opportunity in future. But that doesn’t mean mechanical engineering has no value. Remember that I am just making out the differences between only these two courses. Otherwise mechanical engineering too is a better than many other engineering courses. it has been rated as the 5th most desirable course.

Below are the list of all the engineering courses that are has the best value in the current education system. I am not sure whether you are well aware of the list of best engineering courses but if you are aware then let me tell you that Electrical Engineering is actually the 4th best course and there are many other courses are has more value than Electrical.

• Computer Science and Engineering
    • Information Technology
    • Electronics and Communication Engineering
    • Electrical Engineering
    • Mechanical Engineering
    • Instrumentation & Control Engineering
    • Chemical Engineering
    • Civil Engineering

All engineering courses shares the same common subjects during the first two semesters, so what so ever course you select it is going to be the same for the first year but as you carry on with the second year i.e. third and fourth semester, subjects might get specified to your course.

Quote Originally Posted by G-MAT View Post
    Overall you are going to be an electrical expert after doing Electrical Engineering. With Mechanical Engineering you can be a Mechanical expert who will allow you learn about motors, engines and other automobile vehicle. So which one looks interesting to you?
    Some people do get misunderstand with the people who generally repairs the electrical things at your place, get the money and leave and the people who study electrical engineering. They are totally different. With electrical engineer you will get to learn many things which would include in the subjects like Thermodynamics, introductory electronics, signal processing and instrumentation, signals, systems and electric networks, etc. also Mechanical engineering not for becoming mechanics instead it comprises with the subjects like mechanics, kinematics, thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, heat transfer, materials science, etc. for me mechanical engineering has always been a passion. So I did it.

Quote Originally Posted by Falgu View Post
    I will have to somehow choose one of these two but how. Doing both the courses together is obviously not possible. How come it is possible that two courses are at the same top position, there might be some difference between two of them (not with the definition but with the scope).
    If you really love both the courses and unable to make out the best one or if you are will to prefer both for your career then you need not have to worry. There are certain colleges that allow doing double degrees. Obviously as the time pass on you will automatically get down at one course with understanding the difficulties. Otherwise you will still have the availability of getting double degree. For further details and information you can visit the nearby engineering colleges.

Yes there are counseling colleges for engineering that could help you out in guiding you the best way possible for your future. Within each states the government announces General counseling for admission to engineering colleges before the admission for the engineering courses starts. There the students are guided for choosing their preferable courses and also they are explained about selecting the better college for their better studies.

If you are really confused you can choose this option for your own betterment instead of searching out for a proper guidance in this thread. If I am not mistaken then I guess the government of Tamil Nadu has recently announced the general counseling for Tamil Nadu Engineering Admissions is about to begin on July 9 2012 till August 12 2012. Try to know the dates of your state’s engineering counseling.

Everything depends upon you my friends. Engineering itself is the best compliment that anyone could get after their complication of course. So I personally do not thing that there is any requirement of you to get confuse with what specific course you should choose. If you are smart enough go for any of the course and just make sure that you complete your 4 years of engineering studies without any bad remarks. That’s it. You will be a better engineer for sure and definitely you will get a good job after your studies as you will be an ENGINEER. Just listen to your heart and carry on with your current studies. Go for either Mechanical or electrical or even you can choose other ones (obviously depending upon your marks and percentage criteria).

Everything depends upon you my friends. Engineering itself is the best compliment that anyone could get after their complication of course. So I personally do not thing that there is any requirement of you to get confuse with what specific course you should choose. If you are smart enough go for any of the course and just make sure that you complete your 4 years of engineering studies without any bad remarks. That’s it.
    I don’t think that’s a good suggestion you are giving. This is an engineering course, once if things go wrong you will have to suffer the entire life. For your kind information there is lot of race going on in the career field and you wont believe amongst the engineering itself there is a huge race going on. as already listed above, there are a huge lists of engineering courses listed according to their ranks. As you said to choose any engineering course, suppose if you choose the least rated course obviously you will suffer a lot with your career due to lack of job availability.

Job opportunities do vary with respect to the engineering courses you do. Not just the marks matter but also the courses that you prefer matters a lot.

I do agree with the above comment. Job opportunity differs especially in engineering. No doubt electrical engineering is the best course at the current time but it would not provide you much opportunity when you come in the global industry. I mean to say that suppose if with the electrical engineering degree you try to get into a software field definitely you are not going to get any value for your degree. The same things apply to Mechanical engineering.

Currently I personally feel that computer Science and IT are widely known that these courses can help you in future. But if you prefer being an electrician or mechanics they do not hesitate and go on. Make sure that you get a better counseling before you get the admission.