Thread: I want some tips for UPSC preparation

I want some tips for UPSC preparation

I am a resident of Mumbai and I am planning to appear for UPSC exams sooner or later. But I don’t wish to waste my time later wondering about ifs and buts or pros and cons about the examination. I want a very reliable source of information for this. I do not belong to a very well-to-do family. Nor do I have sibling or uncle with even the slightest of IAS/IPS background. So, can anyone please come up with cost-effective and the quality-effective ways of dealing with these examinations. All tips, advices, suggestions, recommendations are whole heartedly welcome. I have to start from scratch so please enlist your tips in that order. Like right from where to start from and how to start what.
    Imagine, you are answering to all the ‘whats, hows, whys and whens’ that revolves around UPSC.

Re: I want some tips for UPSC preparation

To begin with the whats of UPSC exam, UPSC examinations are handled by UPSC which targets IAS, IPS, IFS, NDA etc. however, while talking about UPSC people generally refer to IAS or IPS only. And even I am assuming that is what you are aspiring. I would also like to appreciate your ambition and the spirit of attempting to one of the most difficult format of examination in the country and to a great extent the globe. One thing you need to very aware before going ahead is that UPSC examination is meant for individuals with exceptional intellectual quality which is incomparable to the 120 crore of population in the nation. A person clearing UPSC gets many irrevocable rights and enjoys many privileges of the government. For even attending the exam, you need to have high concentration level and immovable passion towards the subject you take up.

That was a piece of advice, I must say. I am not at all doubtful about the passion or energy I possess. As far as the concentration power is concerned I am an undisputed champ in majority of the places where your concentration is supposed to be showcased. I am not flaunting what I possess but these are things that drive me more passionately towards my goal and I am sure to attain it at any cost.
    Your description of an ideal-UPSC-aspirant just filled in a new energy and vibration into me. You happened to close your line with:
    you need to have high concentration level and immovable passion towards the subject you take up.
    Which forces me to ask, what are these subjects all about?

Do we have options?

Are the subjects same and compulsory for all?

This is a very important and crucial question. No, the UPSC is not at all adamant about the subjects that we are supposed to take up. They are quite flexible and you can easily chose from a list of subjects that interest you or the background you belong to. Let me enlist all of them first.

Agriculture, Management, Animal Husbandry & Vetinary Science , Mathematics, Anthropology , Mechanical Engineering, Botany , Medical Science, Chemistry , Philosophy, Civil Engineering , Physics, Commerce & Accountancy , Political Science & International Relations, Economics , Psychology, Electrical Engineering , Public Administration, Geography , Sociology, Geology, Statistics, Indian History , Zoology & Law.

Out of this, you have to choose two subjects and a general studies subject. In all, you will have 3 subjects for your level 2.

Let me also list down for you the basic eligibility criteria and other related details:
    - Anyone who is a graduate from a recognized university with any discipline of their choice can attend for UPSC exam
    - However, if you do not fall in the age range or 18 to 22 and you are a general category candidate, you cannot appear.
    - SC/ST/OBC category candidates can avail benefits of age relaxation provided to them
    - An SC or ST candidate can attempt the paper for an unlimited number of times but OBC candidate can only appear for 7 years while for general it is 5 years
    - Citizenship of India is mandatory

Since you asked for tips, I would be giving you some basic ones that you have to follow without compromise:
    - Choose your subjects carefully, depending on the availability of books, your interest and your background
    - Keep your GK strong. Keep a track of all newspapers and don’t miss TV news
    - you have to be extremely alert and spontaneous. Your answers will make your career
    - The way you look, speak all counts. Make sure you work on your personality on an urgent basis