Thread: Entry Level Security job profiles

Entry Level Security job profiles

I am a student of 21 years old, going to school for my degree in system and network security. I am still a couple of years to graduate since I started a little late for this, but I have worked in IT for 5 years doing level 2 and 3 Help-desk support for field engineers in the desktop, devices IVRs, kiosks, firewalls and networks. I have my A + and DCSE but still preparing for my CCNA and CCNA Security. What are good Security / Networking companies to look for where I can get my foot in the door maybe not safe, but to build my way up as I go in my career? My curriculum includes CCNA, CCNA Security, Security +, Project + and an MCTS or MCITP included in tuition. If I posted in the wrong place, my apologies and if someone wants to move to a better place would be great. Thanks in advance.

Re: Entry Level Security job profiles

An entry level security position is a kind of oxymoron. But it seems that you realize that. You may want to look for companies that have been associated with the hardware or software that you are interested in. If you can not find it, I would look to big companies that have a need for high security, such as banks, law firms lawyers, etc. Such companies are likely to have internal full-time positions based solely on the network, systems and data security. You may have to work as a Help Desk VIA, Systems / Network Type role management.

Most titles would say something like Technical Security or Entry Level Professional Security-It really depends on the company. These positions usually starts with something like watching the packets, the packet analysis (basic), then proceed to more advanced packet analysis, perhaps to the configuration of hardware and software, etc.Have good knowledge of at least one of the major operating systems and network infrastructure is almost a requirement for serious consideration.

By the way you can not ensure a system if you have no idea how it works. Nmap uses different operating system implementations of the internet protocol to identify which operating system is running on a target. Trying to ensure a system of trick Nmap and other scanners as that is impossible if you can not tell the difference between the way in Solaris and Windows and uses transfer controlled protocol / internet protocol stacks.

Most entry-level positions in information security requires a combination of both education and experience. Employers look for applicants with a degree of IT and security specialization or concentration. A degree in a related IT field such as computing, information security, and so provides a foundation of necessary skills and course work practices or providing real-world experience that employers are looking for.