Thread: How a supervisor should conduct effective performance appraisals?

How a supervisor should conduct effective performance appraisals?

I am graduate student. I have got Bachelor's degree in management studies or you can say BMS from Nagindas Khandwala college, whose curriculum falls under Mumbai University. I am planning for a post graduation course, either I will go for MMS or I will pursue MBA. I look myself as supervisor of a firm in future, because I think I have that much potential and caliber to work at such higher designation and it is quite obvious that no fresher can be at such post immediately after he/she has done with his/her studies. So i will begin with a data analyst or something equivalent post then gradually touch my desired feat. But my question is in case in future if I get nominated to be a supervisor , then what measures should I follow to increase my strength as being a supervisor or I should say in what ways I can appraise or enhance the performance of my team and as an individual as well so that I can contribute with my team member and in order to lead the firm in which I work towards the core objective? How I can tackle different types of employee at different posts?I would be glad to have a view on your suggestions and ideas.
    Last edited by Tufan; 17-11-2010 at 01:29 AM.

Re: How a supervisor should conduct effective performance appraisals?

I have done a very good course and it seems that you definitely posses skill to be a supervisor. You will have to work hard and give your utmost dedication to each and every task been assigned to you. I think you should start working from now on as the data analyst as you suggested if you are getting any opportunity, also simultaneously you can pursue the desired post graduation course or go for MBA. Now a days lot of companies provide sponsorship for further studies. There are many tasks that precedes any performance appraisals. If you really want to create appraisals as being a supervisor you will have to prepare a checklist before and then prepare for any seminar or exhibition in which you can conduct appraisals.

The most important is to set the meeting between you and the employee which includes date, time and location parameters. You should not consider your convenience only but of the employee as well and give him ample time so that he can prepare and come. The uration of the meeting must be atleast and hour , but should not exceed more thn two hours because you have lots of such empoyees to handle. A conference room can be an ideal location for such gatherings because it provides a great environment and you can interact with your employee without any interruption and maintain privacy. once you have set the location , time choose the correct date on which you can come and call employee for discussions, but it should be flexible for both.

After setting all the the time and date, you will have to do a very crucial task of collecting information . The information gathered should be accurate and timely. You will have to gather the description of the employee about his previous job and performance in his previous company. You can ask him about the goals and objective set in his last appraisal if he had any, the rules and regulations to be followed , required documents to be issued by the employee, feedback if he had any from the previous client and if selected the documents containing disciplinary notes.

In some scenarios you find the employee quite skillful, according to your judgment you can assign self appraisal task to the employee. If you really think that the employee is really find the employee capable ten you can save your time their and concentrate on other. But before assigning any employee a self appraisal task, make sure that you acquire it early enough so that you can take a look on it and prepare the review accordingly and hand over the employee a draft of your review . He can go through it and rectify his/her mistakes and avoid them in future if assigned once again.

Then you can ask the employee to fill up the appraisal form but before that you can just take a look and inform the employees regarding the functional areas of his responsibilities , his performance meter that states how much productive the employee has been for the firm, his areas of correction where he has made mistakes and where he needs improvement and guide the employee once you have observed him you can guide him so that he can adapt himself as instructed by you.

But there are certain areas you should need to avoid, you cannot be partial to your favored employee or your friend ,this is called as halo effect. You will have to rate the employee according to his performance not blew or more than that, this is called as Horns effect. You will have to focus on each and every employee and rate them individually , you cannot rate them in group , this come under cookie cutter effect.