Union Public Service Commission Eligibility Criteria
Conditions of Eligibility:
- A candidate must either be :
- A Citizen of India, or
- A subject of Bhutan, or
- A subject of Nepal, or
- A Tibetan refugee who came over to India before the 1st January, 1962 with the intention of permanently settling in India, or
- A person of Indian origin who has migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka and East African Countries of Kenya, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire and Ethiopia or Vietnam with the intention of permanently settling in India.
Provided that a candidate belonging to categories (ii), (iii), (iv) and (v) above shall be a person in whose favour a certificate of eligibility has been issued by the Government of India.
Certificate of eligibility will, however, not be necessary in the case of candidates who are Gorkha subjects of Nepal.
A candidate in whose case a certificate of eligibility is necessary, may be admitted to the examination provisionally subject to the necessary certificate being given to him by the Govt. before declaration of result by UPSC.
B. Age Limits, Sex and Marital Status :
- For IMA-Unmarried male candidates born not earlier than 2nd January, 1986 and not later than 1st January, 1991 only are eligible.
- For Naval Academy-Unmarried male candidates born not earlier than 2nd January, 1988 (2nd January, 1986 in case of NCC/Naval Wing �C� Certificate holders) and not later than 1st January, 1991 only are eligible.
- For Air Force Academy-Unmarried male candidates born not earlier than 2nd January, 1987 and not later than 1st January, 1991 only are eligible.
- For Officers Training Academy-(SSC Course for Men): Male candidates (married or unmarried born not earlier than 2nd January, 1985 and not later than 1st January, 1991 only are eligible.
- For Officers' Training Academy - (SSC Women Non-Technical Course):
Unmarried women are eligible. They should have been born not earlier than 2nd January, 1985 and not later than 1st January, 1991
The date of birth accepted by the Commission is that entered in the Matriculation or Secondary School Leaving Certificate or in a certificate recognised by an Indian University as equivalent to Matriculation or in an extract from a Register of Matriculates maintained by a University which extract must be certified by the proper authority of the University or in the Higher Secondary or an equivalent examination certificate. These certificates are required to be submitted only after the declaration of the result of the written part of the examination. No other document relating to age like horoscopes, affidavits, birth extracts from Municipal Corporation, service records and the like will be accepted.
The expression Matriculation/Higher Secondary Examination Certificate in this part of the instruction includes the alternative certificates mentioned above.
Sometimes the Matriculation/Higher Secondary Examination Certificate does not show the date of birth, or only shows the age by completed years or completed years and months. In such cases a candidate must send in addition to the attested/certified copy of Matriculation/Higher Secondary Examination Certificate an attested/certified copy of a certificate from the Headmaster/Principal of the Institution from where he passed the Matriculation/Higher Secondary Examination showing the date of his birth or exact age as recorded in the Admission Register of the Institution.
Note 1 : Candidates should note that only the Date of Birth as recorded in the Matriculation/Higher Secondary Examination Certificate or an equivalent certificate on the date of submission of applications will be accepted by the Commission and no subsequent request for its change will be considered or granted.
Note 2 : Candidates should also note that once a Date of Birth has been claimed by them and entered in the records of the Commission for the purpose of admission to an Examination, no change will be allowed subsequently or at a subsequent examination on any ground whatsoever.
Note 3 : The candidates should exercise due care while entering their date of birth in column 8 of the application form for the Examination. If on verification at any subsequent stage any variation is found in their date of birth from the one entered in their Matriculation or equivalent examination certificate, disciplinary action will be taken against them by the Commission under the Rules.
C. Educational Qualifications :
- For I.M.A. and Officers� Training Academy-Degree of a recognised University or equivalent.
- For Naval Academy : B.Sc. (with Physics & Mathematics) or Bachelor of Engineering.
- For Air Force Academy : Degree of Recognized University (with Physics and Mathematics at 10+2 level) or Bachelor of Engineering.
Graduates with first choice as Army/Navy/Air Force are to submit proof of graduation provisional certificates on the date of commencement of the SSB Interview at the SSB.
Candidates who are studying in the final year Degree course and have yet to pass the final year degree examination can also apply but they will be required to submit proof of passing the degree examination to reach the Army HQ/Rtg. CDSE Entry, West Block III, R K Puram, New Delhi-110066 in case of IMA/SSC first choice candidates and Naval HQ �DMPR� (I.O & R Section), Room No. 204, �C� Wing, Sena Bhawan, New Delhi-110011 in case of Navy first choice candidates and PO3(A)/Air Headquarters, �J� Block, Room No. 17, Opp. Vayu Bhawan, Motilal Nehru Marg, New Delhi-110011 in case of Air Force first choice candidates by the following dates failing which their candidature will stand cancelled :