Thread: What is Ethical Hacking?

What is Ethical Hacking?

I am student of IT and I have a subject called security in my syllabus. I have to make some project and I have decided that I will make on ethical hacking. But, I do not know what is Ethical Hacking? Is it something different from normal hacking done by the attackers. Are the people who do ethical hacking the same as the attackers? Please help me with suitable information on this particular topic.

Re: What is Ethical Hacking?

Ethical Hacking can also be called as the following:
    1. Penetration Testing
    2. Intrusion Testing
    3. Red Teaming

An ethical hacker is different from the normal attacker. Ethical hackers are hired by the organizations to check how strong the security systems are. The ethical hacker has the same knowledge as the attacker and thus, can prove very useful to tell which are the weak places or the vulnerabilities in the system.

The person who carries out the Ethical Hacking is refereed to as an "ethical hacker" or a "white hat". To gain unauthorized access into ones system is illegal, but ethical hacking is done on the behalf of the request by the authorities from the organization. The ethical hacker will let one know the motives that an attacker have by a specific attack. It is thus recommended to test the security of your system from such a person.

Hello friends, thank you for the time that you have spend to help me with the information on Ethical Hacking. I need someone to help me with the steps of this activity, that is how is Ethical Hacking actually done. Please help me with some suggestions, since I want to learn Ethical Hacking. Once again thank you in advance for all your replies.

I cannot help you with the steps of Ethical Hacking. The problem is that, since hacking is an illegal activity in almost all the countries it is wrong to elaborate on how it is actually done. I guess that you understand what the limitations are. There are no problems with Ethical Hacking, since it is the particular organization or firm that wants to test their security systems.

If you really want to learn Ethical Hacking, I suggest you to contact InfoSec Institute, that provides information security training. The concepts that they teach are as follows:
    1. Security testing methodologies including the OSSTMM
    2. Stealthy network recon
    3. Multi-OS banner grabbing
    4. Remote root vulnerability exploitation
    5. Privilege escalation hacking
    6. Unauthorized data extraction
    7. Remote access trojan hacking
    8. Offensive sniffing
    9. Wireless insecurity
    10. Breaking IP-based ACLs via spoofing
    11. Evidence removal and anti-forensics
    12. Attacking network infrastructure devices
    13. Hacking by brute forcing remotely
    14. Hacking Web Applications
    15. Breaking into databases with SQL Injection
    16. Cross Site Scripting hacking
    17. Justifying a penetration test to management and customers
    18. CEH review
    19. Defensive techniques
    20. Capture the Flag hacking exercises every night !
    21. Abusing DNS for host identification
    22. Leaking system information from Unix and Windows
    23. Stealthy Recon
    24. Unix, Windows and Cisco password cracking
    25. Remote buffer overflow exploit lab I - Smashing the Stack
    26. Remote buffer overflow exploit lab II - Getting Tricky
    27. Remote heap overflow exploit lab III - Beyond the Stack
    28. Desktop exploitation
    29. Remote keylogging
    30. Data mining authentication information from clear-text protocols
    31. Remote sniffing
    32. Breaking wireless security via hacking
    33. Malicious event log editing
    34. Transferring files through firewalls
    35. Hacking into Cisco routers
    36. Harvesting web application data
    37. Data retrieval with SQL Injection Hacking
    38. Calculating the Return on Investment (ROI) for an ethical hack

apoorvatandon Guest

There are two types of hackers - black-hat hackers and white-hat hackers. Black hat hackers are the malicious hackers who attack network systems. Whereas white-hat hackers are the ethical hackers who prevent theft of confidential information and protect computer systems from being damaged. Since loss of information is quite common in companies, the need for ethical hackers and information security experts is quite high. And i can bet the demand for ethical hackers would grow in the coming years. There are various institutes such as Appin Online which offer certified courses and training in ethical hacking. Ethical hacking is quite a lucrative career. You can pursue it without any doubt.

josh123 Guest

An ethical hacker is a computer and network expert who attacks a security system on behalf of its owners, seeking vulnerabilities that a malicious hacker could exploit.

What is Ethical Hacking?

Ethical hacking is also known as penetration testing, intrusion testing, and red teaming. It is conducted by ethical hackers to find possible problems in the system.An ethical hacker is a computer and network expert who attacks a security system on behalf of its owners, seeking vulnerabilities that a malicious hacker could exploit. To test a security system, ethical hackers use the same methods as if they are the real hackers, but report problems instead of taking advantage of them.
    We must change in order to survive

ryxin Guest

Oh! i don't know about Ethical Hacking..Never heard that word..I just only know about hacking it is like the person who's attacker of the sites..is that right? but as what i have read those who responded about what does ethical hacking means..now i know what does it mean..Its quite difference from hacking to ethical hacking..i thought they're the same..

Andrew22 Guest

An ethical hacker is a computer and network expert who attacks a security system on behalf of its owners, seeking vulnerabilities that a malicious hacker could exploit. To test a security system, ethical hackers use the same methods as their less principled counterparts, but report problems instead of taking advantage of them. Ethical hacking is also known as penetration testing, intrusion testing and red teaming. An ethical hacker is sometimes called a white hat, a term that comes from old Western movies, where the "good guy" wore a white hat and the "bad guy" wore a black hat.

One of the first examples of ethical hackers at work was in the 1970s, when the United States government used groups of experts called red teams to hack its own computer systems. According to Ed Skoudis, Vice President of Security Strategy for Predictive Systems' Global Integrity consulting practice, ethical hacking has continued to grow in an otherwise lackluster IT industry, and is becoming increasingly common outside the government and technology sectors where it began. Many large companies, such as IBM, maintain employee teams of ethical hackers.

JohnTaverner Guest

An Ethical Hacker is an expert hired by a company to attempt to attack their network and computer system the same way a hacker would. Ethical Hackers use the same techniques and tactics as those used by illegal hackers to breach corporate security systems
    Last edited by JohnTaverner; 10-03-2010 at 12:39 PM.