Thread: 3G in Kindle Paperwhite is restricted for free browsing

3G in Kindle Paperwhite is restricted for free browsing

Earlier i was using Kindle 3 ereader and was happy with the same but as the screen got cracked i finally bought the new Kindle Paperwhite last week. Well i must say the device is amazing but i have a problem with it. I use 3G network like i was using on K3, but seems like the 3G browsing is restricted in the new Paperwhite. Apart from amazon and wikipedia i am just not able to browse anything else on this device. I am not sure whether this is just me or it is really restricted. Can anyone please confirm the same?

An if it is restricted, is there any way we can break this restriction and us the device to browse other sites as well? Many thanks.

Re: 3G in Kindle Paperwhite is restricted for free browsing

I dont think that Paperwhite allows you to browse the web on its 3G. I dont have this product but i have read few articles about the same as i was about to upgrade my Kindle touch to Paperwhite. The specification i read from its official page clearly says that you can browser Amazon and Wikipedia. They haven't mentioned anything about browsing the web on Kindle PW. I think it is very much similar to my k Touch. They say that the 3G web browsing is restricted in these devices because people were abusing the 3G connection that cause higher data charges. Well , i know now what they have to do with our 3G connection

When I was browsing Kindle PapwerWhite official page on their official site I found a phrase saying “Search Wikipedia and the Web”. What does that means? I think they are now allowing access to other websites as well. Not sure, need personal experience of someone already using Kindle PW.

Wow, getting more confusing. One of you say yet it is allowed and other say it is not. Somebody please provide me the actual info. I need to order it or see some other device is the 3G access is not allowed for other sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Bao View Post
    When I was browsing Kindle PapwerWhite official page on their official site I found a phrase saying “Search Wikipedia and the Web”. What does that means? I think they are now allowing access to other websites as well. Not sure, need personal experience of someone already using Kindle PW.
    I think the manual of a device offers the best information about how much capable the device is, right? Hence I search and download the manual of Kindle Paperwhite and found this:

“Your Kindle includes a web browser that enables you to surf the web and view most Amazon web pages.”

So that means you can access the web (other websites) as well on Kindle PW.

Sounds funny. Yes, you can browse website on your Kindle PaperWhite but not on 3G, it is accessible only on WiFi. So, even PW is just like Kindle Touch where you cannot use the 3G connection for accessing web. Be limited to WiKi and Amazon sites with 3G only connection.