Thread: Kobo Touch eReader Firmware 2.0 download and information

Kobo Touch eReader Firmware 2.0 download and information

I just read on the website of Kobo that the developers have released a new version of firmware for their Kobo Touch eReader. I am planning to get the firmware of my Kobo Touch eReader updated and thus I wanted to know what this firmware will upgrade in my eReader. Also is the firmware limited only to the eReader or will it also bring changes to the desktop application we use to manage the Kobo Touch eReader. Can someone provide me information about it?

Re: Kobo Touch eReader Firmware 2.0 download and information

The new firmware update for Kobo Touch eReader is not just restricted to the Kobo Touch eReader, but it will also bring changes in the desktop application. The improvements that have been made include the modification of the home screen of Kobo Touch eReader. This modification of the home screen will make the access to the eBooks easier and thus making browsing of the eBooks more comfortable and easier. We can also create custom book shelves in the Kobo Touch eReader. I think this will really help people to categorize eBooks into sections like fiction, suspense, humor and so on.

A wish list feature has also been added which I think will become very useful for many users. Many times it happens that we are visiting the eBook downloading website and see a good book that we wish to read. But we remember that we have already brought two books just now. So finding the same book next time we visit the market becomes difficult. We either forget its name or what category it was in. So with wish list, we can pin the books to the list. This will help us find the book next time we visit the eBook market and buy it. Also depending on our purchase and our wish list we can also get recommendations. For example, if we buy a fiction based book, then we will get recommendation for other such books too.
    One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.

Many times it happens that the book we download has another book that follows its story, in other words a sequel or prequel. It happens usually when you hear a book name and download it only to realize that it is not the first part of the series. It actually happened to me when I first heard how good Harry Potter series was. I actually saw movie first and then downloaded it. Not realizing that it was a series, I downloaded Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban first. My girlfriend told me that it was the third part in the series. But now with an added feature in the Kobo Touch eReader, it will show you related or similar books to the one we download. For example, books from same author, same series, same theme and so on. I just downloaded Dan Brown’s The Lost Symbol and it recommended me other Dan Brown’s books like Deception Point, Angel and Demons and so on.

I like the way font of the Kobo Touch eReader is improved after putting the firmware update in my eReader. The font seems much clearer and well made now. I think they have improved the resolution of the font which has given us these results. The font tuning option is nice and really useful. We can actually change the quality of the font as we want to. Also addition of French dictionary in Kobo Touch eReader is great improvement. My little sister who is studying French as an optional subject in her school has been greatly helped by this addition. She can now read French text and search for the meaning o the tough words directly on the Kobo Touch eReader.

The desktop software of the Kobo Touch eReader has also got some changes made into it. The changes are same as the one made for the Kobo Touch eReader, the modification in the looks of the home screen which helps in better browsing of books. Addition of wish list where we can add books we want to read later on. We can also personalize the recommendation of the books we get as suggestions. Also there have been made improvements with the navigation method in the desktop application for Kobo Touch eReader’s desktop application.

I think that Kobo Touch eReader should have some feature like the Instapaper sync in the Kindle. This synchronization helps us to save a document on the Kindle eBook reader and then synchronize it with other devices like PC, Macintosh, smartphones, tablets and so on. So when we don’t have the Kindle with us, we can turn on the PC or smartphone and start reading the document or book whatever it is that we have synchronized using the Instapaper feature. We can also bookmark certain pages of eBooks so that we can continue to read them from the same page we ended last time. I think this great feature is missing in Kobo Touch eReader. Developers need toad such feature in next firmware update.

I hate the page turning feature of Kobo Touch eReader when done using the touch screen of this eReader. Even the slightest touch of the finger will turn the page leading to disturbance while reading the eBook. I think a feature should be introduced where we can disable the page turn by touching the screen and instead of it, we should have a physical button which we can use for changing pages of the Kobo Touch eReader.

The home button on the eReader could be utilized for this purpose. I think that developers can easily program the home button to act as page changer. I think this would be really helpful to do so.

The home button on the eReader could be utilized for this purpose. I think that developers can easily program the home button to act as page changer. I think this would be really helpful to do so.
    I don’t think that it will be a good idea to have the home button as the page changer. The home button looks very weak physically. Using this button regularly for changing pages so frequently will break it easily. I think that two buttons left and right should be provided for changing the pages. Right press for next page and left press for previous page. I too think that touch screen page turn can get irritating many times and some provision to disable t should have been provided.