Thread: How to increase memory capacity of Kindle 3

How to increase memory capacity of Kindle 3

I am planning to get Kindle 3, I have checked out its specification and I am quite impressed with the same. The only thing that I did not like it is storage capacity, which is just 4GB. So I wanted to know if there is a way by which we can increase memory capacity of Kindle 3. Has anyone tried any hack on the same, like opening it up and replacing its storage? I may sound weird with that but I just want to know all the possibilities of increasing its storage capacity??

Re: How to increase memory capacity of Kindle 3

What you mean by just 4gb? That’s more than enough, I mean it can hold up to 5000 books. I really don’t think one will be read that much. I really don’t think anyone might have tried out such stupid hacks. Trust me there is really no need of increasing memory capacity of Kindle 3. What you are getting with Kindle 3 is more than enough. I am not very sure but I think that Kindle 3 memory chip is directly attached to its main board and there’s no card slot. If anyone will try to mess with it then he/she might damage their kindle. If you want then you can surely take that risk and try your hacks on your Kindle 3.

Dude we are aware that K3 has access to Audible store but I really dint think it is a designed for music. It is not for filling audiobook collection but it’s for storing ebooks. If you want one with good storage then you can get a tablet that will be capable of reading ebooks.

If not and you still need more storage then you can create a web server and use 3G to download the book you might be willing to get.

Funbooks has started an interesting topic, I reached this thread thinking there might be a solution for increasing memory capacity of Kindle 3. In my case I am having a kindle as well and will really like to know if there is a way for way to do that. I wish if kindle could have been developed with sd card so we would have expanded the same easily without the need of any hacks. On the other hand I have checked about the same and have come across some people who have taken the risk of expanding kindle memory by soldering SD slot drive but none of them have confirmed whether they have got it working or not. I think it can be done but I won’t be taking the risk of trying out that myself.

I have come across some images of Kindle 3 disassembly and it appears as if only the battery is replaceable. I really don’t think one can expand or replace its storage, the risk of doing that will surely result in damaging kindle. Like GuruT has mentioned above, there are some articles saying “Increase kindle memory” they have provided the steps required for replacing 2 GB and 4 GB memory with larger memory like 8 GB. Unfortunately when you will go through the comments made by the user then you will come to know that’s not possible. If anyone finds any article saying that it is possible to replace the memory chip and get it working then do let me know. I will surely try that out but I need it to be confirmed by a couple of users.