Thread: How to replace inbuilt notepad in Windows 8.1

How to replace inbuilt notepad in Windows 8.1

I have recently upgraded to Windows 8.1 on my computer. I personally dont like the inbuilt Notepad in this operating system and therefore I want to replace it with some other ones. I know that there are many other third party text editor out there that we can download and even for free, but still I just want to get rid of the inbuilt notepad first. So, if anyone out there knows a way how to replace the notepad in Windows 8.1 then please let me know. Thanks

Re: How to replace inbuilt notepad in Windows 8.1

After some searching I found out that you can use another third party text editor called Notepad2 which also has an option to replace the Windows inbuilt Notepad automatically. There are many good feature with this text editor, like editing text by dragging and dropping inside and outside Notepad2, basic search and replace by regular expression, userful Shortcuts for line editing, block and word, Rectangular selection, Key Match, automatic indenting, timeline marker, zoom functions, etc.

The best way you can follow is to simply replace the file type association for .txt files or any other files you might want to open with the different Notepad software. Or else go to the below registry key and follow the instructions to change the path of the Notepad:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\notepad.exe.
    string (REG_SZ) name "Debugger".
    value "path_to_replacementnotepad.exe" /z

I would rather ask you to leave the inbuilt Notepad as it is and download a third party text editor like Editpad Lite and then right click on all the .txt files and change its file type to open with Editpad Lite only. The EditPad Lite application is a Notepad replacement and convenient text editor carefully designed. It has all the features of a solid text editor needs without any recharge. You can open as many files as you want at once, with no size limit and no arbitrary file length limit. You can change between the open files by clicking on their tabs. If you want, EditPad Lite limits itself to one instance, saving you a lot of task switching and maintains a visible icon in the system tray for quick access.