Thread: All desktop shortcut turns white on Windows 7

All desktop shortcut turns white on Windows 7

After removing a few old programs from my pc the shortcut icon is not working fine. All of them turned to something weird. There are no images on them. I tried restarting my pc and thought this will fix. But still it is the same. I also tried to change windows theme. I want a bit help to restore the old icons back. I hope this is not some kind of virus problem. Last month I had formatted my pc and it will be complicated to restore everything back.

Re: All desktop shortcut turns white on Windows 7

Looks like there was a icon manager type program in your system. And you said you removed a few recently. You are facing problem due to that. Try to run system restore. This will add the old programs back and this can also fix the problem. You have to find which application is causing this issue. Once you restore the default settings you won't require any third party programs. Just run system restore and test back.

I had gone through this problem last week. I was trying to completely customize the system. I had gone through some third party tool among which one was Vista Shortcut Manager. I had installed this to remove the arrow icon on shortcut. It worked well. But when I removed the entire shortcrust turned something different. I had to re-install it back to restore the old settings. In you case also you might having some of this kind of tools.

The problem can be fixed by rebuilding the icon cache. You can find a script for that on web. Just run Rebuild_Icon_Cache.bat file and done. The icons will be restored. This is the easiest way to fix problem. And it is also very easy to use. There is no need to re-install any old programs. This is most probably a theming bug which can be fixed through the file that I had mentioned above.