Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

how to have the same folder icons in external hard drive

Customize Desktop

Old 26-11-2013

how to have the same folder icons in external hard drive

I have purchased a new External hard drive and I am looking to change the default folders on it. I know the way on how to change the icon but I want to know how do I have the folder icon permanent on the external hard drive? Everytime when I connect it to any other computer then the icons change to default with the icons that I have customized on it? Thanks

Old 27-11-2013

Re: how to have the same folder icons in external hard drive

After you customize a folder in the hard drive then Windows makes a hidden file called "Desktop.ini" in that folder. It might look like the below things:

[.ShellClassInfo]
IconFile=E:\TV Shows\Icons\Lost.ico
IconIndex=0

Above, E is your external hard drive's letter and when you change the middle line to this - IconFile=..\Icons\Lost.ico, then it will work on any pc, thinking that the lost folder is in the similar folder as the folder full of icons.
Old 28-11-2013

I think that you will need to copy the icons onto the external hard drive first and then modify the icons by again setting the target as the hard drive. After that this will ensure that the icons will work in every other computers. Also, try to make sure that the hard drive that you are using always uses the same name or drive letter or else it will not work.
Old 29-11-2013

You will need to make a new folder on the desktop and then open notepad and copy the below lines:

[.ShellClassInfo]
ConfirmFileOp=0
IconFile=Folder.ico
IconIndex=0

After that save it as desktop.ini in the same folder and put a icon in the folder and name it as "Folder.ico" without quotes. Now open CMD and type this - attrib +s C:\users\username\desktop\folder you want to change and then press Enter and close Command Prompt. It will work if you only move and paste the folder and not copy and paste.

TechArena Community > Software > Customize Desktop
Tags: , ,