Thread: Where does Gadget gets installed in Windows 7

Where does Gadget gets installed in Windows 7

I have my personal laptop recently upgraded to Windows 7. I love customizing my screen to make it attractive. In past few days i have downloaded and installed several gadgets and really happy to see them working on my screen. Now i want to get all those gadgets on my Home desktop computer as well which is having the same Windows 7 edition. But instead of browsing, downloading and installing them again i wanted to know if it is possible to copy the gadgets from my laptop and installing them on desktop?

If it is possible, please let me know where exactly these gadgets get installed because i cannot see them anywhere in my installed programs list. Thank you.

Re: Where does Gadget gets installed in Windows 7

Gadgets are installed under APP Data folder on your windows but i dont think they can be moved to other system (i never tried it personally). Remember that AppData is hidden folder hence you will need to first change the windows explorer settings to 'Show Hidden Files and Folder' by going to Organize > Folder and Search Option > View Tab. Once done, visit the following path and copy your installed gadgets:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets

Yeah, you were correct Williamsss, it seems like i am not able to move them by simply copying from here to another PC. But the problem is that second computer is not connected to internet, hence i cannot download the these gadgets on that system. Is there any alternate of moving all these gadgets on second computer? If yes, please let me know soon. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by roch View Post
    Yeah, you were correct Williamsss, it seems like i am not able to move them by simply copying from here to another PC.
    You might be doing something wrong buddy because Gadgets are not like other applications which needs to be installed in order to work. You can simply copy paste them on any other computers running with the same operating system and they should work fine. I have done this several times without any problems. Simply copy that Gadgets folder (C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets) and past to the same location on another PC. Restart the computer, right click on desktop and select the gadgets you want to show up. It is that simple

Quote Originally Posted by roch View Post
    But the problem is that second computer is not connected to internet, hence i cannot download the these gadgets on that system.
    I too agree with you Maq. Gadgets can be simply copy pasted on any other computer with same OS and they work fine. If the concern is about Internet connection, you can simply make your laptop a WiFi hotspot and connect internet on your desktop is it is having wireless card installed. You can do this using software called Connectify. Check the following article for more info on the same: Configuring Connectify for Wi-Fi hotspot

Thanks for the help guys. You were right I guess, I did something wrong earlier. I copied the gadgets folder from laptop and pasted again on the desktop with reboot. All gadgets work fine now.

Help appreciated.