Thread: NLite alternative available for Windows 7

NLite alternative available for Windows 7

I want to make my Windows 7 installation more lighter. The only tool which I found on web is nLite. But I am not able to use it. It looks a bit complicated to me. Is there any better alternative available. I tried to find but I think there are hardly any tool available which allows to customize Windows setup and make it more lighter. I have to setup around 10 pc at a office who told me remove all additional stuff from Windows. It will be used for basic text editing only. The only thing I can do here is check through Control Panel for installed software. I need some help here to clean Windows for better performance.

Re: NLite alternative available for Windows 7

nLite is the best tool for unattended Windows setup. It is really easy to use. All you can do is get a proper guide on that. I think that will be more helpful for you to fix the issue. Just get the complete guide from official website and run the setup.

The one tool that I know which will work in your case is BartPE. You can try that also. Most of this tools works in similar manner providing you options to reduce unwanted elements from the setup. It is really necessary that you must do this properly or else your entire setup will be affected. BartPE is a builder application which allows you to build your own Windows installation setup. It is also really suitable option to maintain regular pc maintenance. But there is a issue with BartPE. I do not think this will support Windows 7. All I can see the list of old Windows OS in it like Windows XP or Windows Server. It is not really a trimming utility but it can help you to deal with various Windows issue. Windows PE is another similar type of utility but to some extent it is limited. I will recommend you to test this once and try back. I am sure this will be helpful for you to some extent. But there is no complete tool available that can help you to trim windows as per your need.

You are asking for slip-streaming here. This process consist of rebuilding Windows setup with your required software and drivers. It is another complicated procedure but great for those systems which are having identical hardware.

Then creating a system image will be more better. I am having around 12 pc at my office with identical hardware in each of them. Each of those system has a 40GB partition dedicated to Windows and other one for data. Now what I did I installed Windows 7 on one system with all drivers and essential software. Like antivirus, web browser, chat messengers, etc. Also the antivirus is updated. Then I used Norton Ghost to create a clone image of that entire system. I ran that clone image on all the systems and everything was ready within some hours. While if I go with manual process by installing everything one by one it will be time consuming. You can do the same. You can install Windows 7 first with essential drivers and software. Then make a clone image of that and run that in all system. I do not think there is any possible way available by which you can remove elements of Windows. nLite is good here. I had use it for sometime which looks to be effective in usage.

Try WinReducer. It is a tiny utility a good alternative to nLite. It offers you simple option to get rid of unwanted stuff from your system. It helps you to get rid of unwanted stuff from your system making your Windows to work more lighter and better.

I will also post information on few tools that I think will be helpful to you. One of them is vLite. It is basically for Vista, but really effective. Tools like allows you to rebuild the Windows installation media through your own way. You can do different things in vLite here. You can simply add a hotfix or language pack in the existing installation. Or you can simply remove a component you want. It is great for tweaking Vista. I had not tested this on any other version of Windows. But still you can give a try. Another tool that works in the same manner is RT Se7en Lite. This fully supports Windows 7. It offers you tweak Windows installation as per your need. And it really works fine. Just download the tool once and test it out. The best par to using this software is that it offers you a gui interface. That works really well and has no issue at the time of setup. It allows you a simple UI where you can manual add or reduce stuff in your system. While the tweaking part just allows you to do major changes in the interface. You can make your system extremely lighter. Just try this tool first and then see what output you are getting.

Tools like BartPE, Windows 7 Toolkit, vLite, etc are all tweaker. The only solution I found here is slip streaming. That is only going to work. Slip streaming helps you to add or remove components from your existing Windows media making it lighter in installation.