Thread: Customize language on Start Screen in Windows 8

Customize language on Start Screen in Windows 8

I need an urgent help from you all. Last week my brother bought me a new VAIO laptop from Germany which came pre-installed with Windows 8. While doing setup of the system for the first time i found everything was written in German language. I tried changing the same to English but it was not allowing me to do the same. Well, i though i will do it later from the control panel. Now when i am trying to change it to English, i can see the language is set to English but still several applications and boxes on the Metro Screen are in German language. Yes, most of them have changed to English but still there are many in German language.

Any idea why and how can i make them to English as well? Thank you very much for all your helps.

Re: Customize language on Start Screen in Windows 8

As you said most of the application languages changed to English, that means your system having the English language installed. But as still few of them are in German, i guess it is the problem with region settings. Did you tried changing the region? If not, do it now following these simple steps:
    • Open Regional and Language Options by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Clock, Language, and Region, and then clicking Regional and Language Options.
    • Click the Location tab, select your location from the list, and then click OK.

Now better restart the computer and see if the languages are changed.

Hey guys, even I have a small problem with my Win8 lappy. I bought it last week from an Arabic country, hence entire system is in Arabic language. I tried changing it from the control panel but seems like the English language is not installed itself in this laptop. Hence can anyone of you please tell me how can I add languages in Windows 8? Where to download the same?

Thanks.

In windows 8 you don’t need to download any language pack separately. You can do it right from your system’s control panel itself. Here is how you do it:
    • Go to Start Screen and type Language > Settings > Language>
    • You will see a option called “Add a language” click the same.
    • On next window select English and click Add. If you are not able to see it, simply search it by typing on the top right search field.
    • Now come back to main language screen (Language > Settings > Language>)
    • Click on Options button just right to English Language.
    • Click Download and Install. Make sure you are connected to Internet. System will download the language automatically.
    • Once done, simply move English language to the top of your language list.

That’s it. Now better restart or log off and log on the system to effect the changes.

Thank you very much for the step by step help Maq.h. That really worked and was very easy to do. Appreciated.