Thread: How to completely modify Windows 7 Desktop

How to completely modify Windows 7 Desktop

How can I completely change the desktop of Windows 7. I am looking for some way by which I can create my own theme and apply on the desktop. I am taking about changing everything here. The task bar, start menu, mouse cursor, etc. I am really bored with existing layout. I do not want docking utilities. I need some way to change the desktop completely and make it look like other. I am sure there are some option available in Windows 7, because it is one of the most widely use OS.

Re: How to completely modify Windows 7 Desktop

If you are asking for themes then you can do that. You can create your own theme and apply that. It will give you the look that you want on your desktop. Like the color, background and other options. Windows 7 does not offer you much detail on desktop customization. While on the web you can find thousands of free themes. you can download them and install it in your system. Themes are the only way through which you can customize your desktop and make it look more attractive.

I think I know something about this. If you are looking for some unique change in your desktop then try RainMeter. This is a very lightweight software that can change your desktop look as per your choice. I am using it right now. I did not found any other utility compare to Rainmeter which is so thin and light. You can keep a clock on the desktop, add a calendar, configure settings as per your need and even edit the themes in notepad to enable and disable several options.

The person is asking about Desktop Shell. Windows 7 mostly works on explorer.exe. This is the default GUI. Where you can see a Start Menu, Task Bar, Desktop icons and right click menu. In Linux OS like Ubuntu you can more than one Desktop Shells. Like Gnome, Cinnamon, Mate, etc. This are also called as Desktop Environments. There are some tools available that allow you to modify your existing desktop environment completely. But there is no guarantee that it will be stable.

Compare to Windows the same work more properly on Ubuntu. There is a tool called as Aston Shell that replaces the existing Windows Desktop Environment. But it is no better. While if you are on Ubuntu you can add multiple desktop environment and use it as per your choice. Windows is not having this feature that makes it low on customization. You can simply download themes, icon set, etc to stay on the safer side. So that your system settings are no screwed up completely.

Aston Shell is the best one. You must test that. I am using it right now. This is the only shell available that has rich user interface. By default the file manager used is Explorer only. That cannot be changed. The reason to recommend you Aston Shell is that it offers you more addins, themes and widgets and it is also very light. To put your old settings back you have to run system restore. This is a core modification and if not applied properly your system many perform slower then before.

There is a Gnome clone available for Windows 7. It is not just a theme but a complete Shell. That means once you applied the same settings will be applied to the right click menu and icons as well. It is called as SharpEnviro.

Aston Shell is not free. There is a paid edition of the same that will be limited and compare to that SharpEnviro is free. It adds a Gnome interface on your screen with regular icons and wallpapers. It is also very smooth in usage.

There is not software available that can help you to customize the entire desktop as per your need. It will be complicated to some extent. While if you are advance user then you can simply customize the shell manually.

But that will take a long time. So instead of that I am listing you some windows shell that you can try out. They are TabWorks, BumpTop, LiteStep, LDE(X), Emerge Desktop, etc. Some of them are free and some of them are paid. So depending on your need you can use it.