Thread: Advantages and disadvantages of window shadows in Windows 8

Advantages and disadvantages of window shadows in Windows 8

I wanted to know about how many people are missing the windows shadows in Windows 8. I mean it gave a good effect in the old operating system and now Microsoft has removed the shadows. This gives the desktop a flat look which looks bad. How many people think same as me when they don’t see the windows shadows in Windows 8?

Re: Advantages and disadvantages of window shadows in Windows 8

I am surprised that Microsoft boasted of an operating system that will be having one of the finest graphics an UI can have. It has many great features like Metro UI, blur on the panels, shine and many more. But the developers didn’t include the usual windows shadow. I mean, Windows 8 uses a good amount of video memory and the developers didn’t include the shadow, I mean this is weird. If they could have made the shadows available in older operating systems, they could have also made it available in Windows 8.

I too miss the windows shadows in Windows 8. It used to give a depth to the windows that we used to open in the system. This used to give an illusion that we are using the system in space and the windows are floating above each other. But now without these shadows, the windows seem to be flat and pasted using the glue on each other. I think that there must be some option in Windows 8 that we must have not found yet, but I think that there must be something hidden or secret option to get them back.

I think that developers should introduce some patch or upgrade that will get the windows shadow back in Windows 8. It will be very helpful. If Microsoft can’t make it then at least some third party developer should develop this patch. I really miss the windows shadow and I think that they should be re-introduced. If no patch or upgrade can be made then at least a new version should be developed which will include these window shadows.

I think introducing the window shadows in the existing operating systems will be very difficult. I mean, the operating system is totally ready and many people have purchased it. At this point if the new shadows are introduced, then it might create problems like unexpected bugs. I think a new version of Windows 8 should be introduced where the shadows will be present. The windows can be scaled and played in many ways. So the developers will have to make a lot of efforts to implement it. I think that demanding the window shadows now is impractical.