Thread: How to run explorer.exe of Windows 7 in Windows 8?

How to run explorer.exe of Windows 7 in Windows 8?

I am a software developer who develops software for Windows operating system. Microsoft has announced launch of its new operating system which goes by name Windows 8. I got the developer’s preview of it and I am learning to develop softwares for it. Since I am using Java and VB.Net for development, it happens that many times the process goes high and starts consuming large amount of resources. So I start the Task Manager to manage the processes and the resources. The problem is that I didn’t like the default task manager that the Windows 8 provide. Can someone tell me if there is any way of getting Task Manager like one in Windows 7 to work on Windows 8?

Re: How to run explorer.exe of Windows 7 in Windows 8?

I have a patch for it and I think that it will help you Task Manager from Windows 7 in Windows 8. This patch will actually tweak the explorer.exe file of Windows 8 to give the looks of Windows 8. I am attaching the patch along with this post which you can download and use. You will get a zip file by name Win7explorer. Unzip this file and you will find two files, one is Win7explorer.exe and the other is wrp32.dll. You have to place these files in the C:\explorer7. So your file system will have files like these,

• C:\explorer7\explorer.exe
    • C:\explorer7\en-US\explorer.exe.mui
    • C:\explorer7\WIn7explorer.exe
    • C:\explorer7\wrp32.dll

Once done, you can click on the Win7explorer.exe to run the patch and have Windows 7 like task manager in Windows 8. To disable the Windows 7 like Task Manager, again execute the Win7explorer.exe patch.
    Attached Files Attached Files

This patch is facing some serious issues which I think might create some inconvenience. This patch didn’t do some crash or freezing activities, but the pinning of shortcuts on the task bar and in the start menu is not working properly. The pinned shortcuts cannot be seen in the Start Menu and the only thing I am seeing is the all programs tab. Also if any shortcut is tried to drag and dropped on the task bar or in Start Menu to pin it, it doesn’t happen a lot of time. The option for ‘Pin to Start Menu’ has also disappeared.

I don’t know if everybody are experiencing this problem with this Win7explorer.exe patch or not, but it has given bigger problems in my computer. As this patch edits the original explorer.exe file, I think it has done some good amount of damage to the explorer.exe file. Can’t see the Auto play pop-ups when it is active. I mean, every time we plug-in some USB device or DVD in the computer, a pop-up prompting for initial action starts. This is the pop-up that has gone missing. Also the softwares meant to be used in Metro don’t work with the Win7explorer patch active. Many of the logos in the quick launch bar are also not visible.

I think not just it makes the icons in the Quick Launch bar disappear, it also has removed the Windows form that helps us change the settings for these icons. At least the setting for the clock and the calendar works normally. The switcher that appears when we press the alt + Tab button remains same as in Windows 8. Also many times I have noticed that the cmd prompt keeps on debugging some random stuff in background. Still can’t understand what it is. My suggestion is that this patch needs much more modification and users should use it on their own risk