Thread: How to modify default system fonts in windows 8

How to modify default system fonts in windows 8

I wanted to know if it is possible to modify default system font size in windows 8, to be more clear I have marked the font that I am willing to change its size in windows 8 with a red box as an example. I have asked regarding this to some of my mates but they simply said that it might be possible by editing registry or some other system file. They were not sure about that, so is there anyone who can let me know if it is possible or not, if yes then how?

Re: How to modify default system fonts in windows 8

I am not so sure if changing the size of the font is possible or not but if you want then you can change font type by editing the below registry:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontSubstitutes]
    "Segoe UI"="Arial"

You can simply replace Arial with which ever font you want.

Thanks for that, I appreciate your help but I want to know if there is a way by which I can change the font size. I have tried changing the font type by editing the above register and it worked. Since there is a solution for editing the font type I think there must be a way for editing the font size as well. I will carry out my search regarding the same but that while if any one comes across any information regarding my query then please share it here, it will be very appreciative.

Exclamation Re: How to modify default system fonts in windows 8

I have tried using Kroeger 05_55 pixel font but it is having only one size, this will ignore the size windows 8 tries to set by default. These are the editing options in below registry:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts]

"Segoe UI (TrueType)"=""
    "Segoe UI Bold (TrueType)"=""
    "Segoe UI Bold Italic (TrueType)"=""
    "Segoe UI Italic (TrueType)"=""
    "Segoe UI Light (TrueType)"=""
    "Segoe UI Semibold (TrueType)"=""
    "Segoe UI Symbol (TrueType)"=""

I have made below changes:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontSubstitutes]

"Segoe UI"="Kroeger 05_55"
    "Segoe UI Light"="Kroeger 05_55"
    "Segoe UI Semibold"="Kroeger 05_55"
    "Segoe UI Symbol"="Kroeger 05_55"

If you want then you can try using Kroeger 05_55 pixel font or some other to get your desired font size.

You can change the default font size of Title Bars in windows 8 but I don’t think if changing sub title font is possible o not. If you are interested in changing font size of Title Bars then you can follow below simple steps:
    1. Right-Click on desktop and select Personalize, once personalization applet gets loaded just click on Display hyperlink in left pane corner.
    2. Now you will get a drop down for changing the text size, you can select the one you desire and then click on apply.
    3. I will check out regarding “Editing subtitle font size” and will let you know if I come across any solution.

I have heard that it was possible to change modify default system font size in windows 8 consumer preview but not in Original version. I don’t know for what reason they have removed this feature. I see that lost of customization things as missing in windows 8 as compared to windows 7. In windows 7 we had opportunity of customizing almost everything in the way we want but it has been limited in windows 8. Anyways I am still running windows 7 so I am not that bothered about it but even I will like to know if it is possible to modify font size.

Yes you are right, windows 7 is much customizable as compared to windows 8. I was using windows 7 previously and had customized it to much extent as per my desire but I am not getting the same opportunities in windows 7. Just now I have gone through some other forum and have come across many people asking for the same thing. Unfortunately I haven’t come across any solution that can help me out in modifying default system font size in windows 8? I really wish for getting more customization feature via update.