Thread: Remove Metro user-interface via registry on windows 8

Remove Metro user-interface via registry on windows 8

I am going to but a Windows 8 copy right on 26th Oct, at the time it releases because am using its preview version and am very happy. I liked the new features, new social integration and the new Windows. I have learned many customization as am testing it since installed. But there is one thing am unable to do and that is removing its Metro UI from registry.

I want to learn this as well on preview versions itself because playing with registry on purchased final W8 wont be good idea. So could you guys please help me out in removing Metro from Windows 8 using registry ? Thanks in advance.

Re: Remove Metro user-interface via registry on windows 8

Yes, you can do it via registry but as you might be knowing playing with registry could create damage to your system, why you want to do it from registry only ? Why dont you simply try out some third party apps ? There are many applications available for removing the Metro UI. I use this app for doing the same. Try it out, its very light, simple and effective.

Quote Originally Posted by twitter View Post
    Yes, you can do it via registry but as you might be knowing playing with registry could create damage to your system, why you want to do it from registry only ? Why dont you simply try out some third party apps ? There are many applications available for removing the Metro UI. I use this app for doing the same. Try it out, its very light, simple and effective.
    Thanks for the help buddy, and the app you listed above is indeed very simple and helpful but i avoid installing any third party apps on my computer. Hence i searched for any microsoft application which can do that, but offcourse there is not any. So i want to do it via registry itself. Please let me know if there is ant such option or not. thank you.

Alright Rhoswen, below are the steps to do the same via registry:

• Open Command Prompt , type "REGEDIT", press enter.
    • now locate the following Location:
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
    • In the right pane, you will find a key named "Shell".
    • Change this key to something else, for example 'cmd'.

Thats it. Close the registry and reboot the system to effect changes. Now onwards, whenever you will boot your system, you will see a command prompt instead of the default Metrol tiles.