Thread: Setup hotkey for Show Desktop Icons

Setup hotkey for Show Desktop Icons

I am a Windows 7 (ultimate) user. My system is working fine, no problem. But am here today to ask for some customization tips. I dont have any other other user account on this PC, even disable guest account. Actually this is my home pc, used by some kids as well few times. But i use to have many files and shortcuts right on the desktop.

So everytime the kids want to use my PC or when i leave my pc i need to hide the desktop icons so that kids wont delete it or mess it. Hence i need to make a file that do this job just by a single click. I want to make a Hotkey for the same. Could you guys help me know the same ? Thanks.

Re: Setup hotkey for Show Desktop Icons

if am not wrong, i guess you are not talking about showing up desktop, but you are talking about showing up desktop icons and hiding desktop icons, that we normally do by right clicking empty space on desktop and selecting "Show Desktop Icons' , right ? If yes, you can do it easily with the help of an utility.

I have attached the utility with this post. Just download it and save it some where on your hard drive. I'll suggest you to better save it in D or E drive safely. Now for better access, i'll suggest you to pin it to the Quick Launch or Start Menu. Quick launch will be better as you can do your task by just a single click on the utility.

Or if you still want to setup a Hotkey, you can do it by right click the utility from Quick launch or Start menu, go to properties and assign any key combination you want in the field provided next to 'Shortcut key' under properties.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Re: Setup hotkey for Show Desktop Icons

Quote Originally Posted by Hache hi View Post
    Hence i need to make a file that do this job just by a single click. I want to make a Hotkey for the same. Could you guys help me know the same ? Thanks.
    Just follow these steps:

Click Start, click Run, type notepad in the Open box, and then click OK.

Carefully copy and then paste the following text into the Notepad window:
    [Shell]
    Command=2
    IconFile=explorer.exe,3
    [Taskbar]
    Command=ToggleDesktop
    On the File menu, click Save As, and then save the file to your desktop as "Show desktop.scf". The Show desktop icon is created on your desktop.

Click and then drag the Show desktop icon to your Quick Launch toolbar.