Thread: Change fade time of wallpaper slideshow in Windows 7

Change fade time of wallpaper slideshow in Windows 7

I have been using Windows 7 as my operating system for my laptop since last 1 month. One thing that I liked about this operating system is that it provides in-built option to edit the slideshow for wallpapers. I used some third party applications to have slideshow as wallpaper when using Windows XP. But now with in-built feature available, I spend lot of time creating custom themes with desired wallpapers in my computer. I know that it provides various options to enhance the way in which the slide show is presented and I have tried all the options that can be used to create good themes. But one thing that I need to use to get a good theme is to change the time of the wallpaper fading. The option provided in Windows 7 is too fast and doesn’t satisfy me. Can someone tell me how to get large fade time in Windows 7?

Re: Change fade time of wallpaper slideshow in Windows 7

There is an option that will change the amount of time for which wallpaper will be displayed but there is no option for changing the timer till which the transition between the wallpapers will take place. I think if timer transition was provided, it would have created problem for the people who don’t have graphic card or powerful PCs. The transition between two wallpapers if done quickly won’t be noticed, but if done quickly, it will be seen in detail. Also during the transition, the two pictures will have their pixels merged into each other. So to achieve such an effect will be very difficult to achieve. To add to this, if the two wallpapers are very contrasting in color scheme, then it will add to more problems as these colors will need more resources to show the changes.

I think that having speed for transition is an stupid idea. I mean no one waits on the desktop to see the wallpapers change. As soon as the PC gets ready to use with all the startup processes ready, people usually launch other softwares and start working on them. The only time when the wallpaper is actually seen is when all the applications are minimized, during startup and during shut down. So except for this I don’t think that someone keeps watching the desktop. Also no one will want to show off their photos on desktop as slideshow. Instead one will choose some other photo viewer to directly show off the photos. So I don’t think that there s any need for timer for transition.

If timer for transition is ever provided in Windows 7, then it would be problematic if someone sets it to large value. It is sure that slow transition will need heavy resources from the graphic card. So as a graphic designer, from my point of view, this feature will be a curse for me. For example, I am using some software that needs high amount of graphic card’s power and in background the wallpapers are changing. So if I am between some important tasks which require high GPU and suddenly the transition starts, then it will greatly affect the important process. So I think that timer for transition between wallpapers is not practical.

I seems that it is time when someone develops an third party application that will integrate with Windows 7’s theme creator. It will be great innovation if it provides timers for transition effect and less timed wallpaper display. So if short time like 1 second for wallpaper switch and least transition timer is provided, then one can have lots of image in sequence to create a short animated film like effect.

Many people will start creating innovative effects like stick man running around or some object roaming around the screen and many more such things. So I think that either Windows or some third party developers should bring out some patch to achieve it.