Thread: Windows 7 Aero gets Turned Off itself randomly

Windows 7 Aero gets Turned Off itself randomly

I was using windows vista earlier but recently installed windows 7 on my system. The issue that I am facing now is that the Aero is disabling itself randomly. I have not yet installed any program so I am running out of ideas guessing what might be causing the issue. I am not getting any error message or any such notification when the aero is disabling itself.

I have searched out for the same and some people had suggested me to update the graphic driver and so. I did the same but that does not seems to be making any difference. I have found the aero disabling once when I was watching a video on youtube.

Is there anyone who has faced the same and has an idea about it and can help me out as well???

Re: Windows 7 Aero gets Turned Off itself randomly

See the possible cause of the aero getting disabled are as followed:
    You might be running an application that might not be compatible with Aero, there are possibilities that the compatibility options of the Aero might have been set to disable for that particular application.
    • There might been too many program running simultaneously in the background leaving the system out of memory.
    • The desktop composition might have been disabled without your knowledge,it gets disabled when “Performance Options” is changed to “Adjust for best performance” under the Advanced system properties.
    • The video card in your case might not be having the latest driver or you it might not be capable of handling the aero resolution and so.
    • The Desktop Window Manager Service might have been disabled.

For re enabling the aero theme you can follow the below steps: (These steps are for vista but you can get some idea of the same from it for windows 7 since you have mentioned in your post that you have used vista earlier.)
    • Go to desktop and then Right-click on the same and select “Personalize” option and click on “Window Color and Appearance” link and then check out the list that you will get and make sure that the Windows Aero is selected there and then click on apply and finally on ok. Now the Aero will be re-enabled but then if that does not help then go to start and then type “sysdm.cpl” without the quotes in the search/run box and click on the Advanced tab and then on the Settings button under Performance and make sure that the “Enable desktop composition” and “Enable transparent glass” are checked marked, when you are done with the same then go back to the desktop properties and select the Windows Aero theme again.
    • If at all that does not help as well then close all the application that might be running and make sure that the “Desktop Window Manager service” is running, you can check out the same by going in to “Services under Control Panel”.

Just check out these things and then you should not face the same issue again but then if these solutions don’t help then let me know I will try to help you out with some other possible solution.

Even I need some help regarding the same in my case I had got the windows 7 preinstalled on my laptop and everything was working fine but then I don’t know what suddenly went wrong with the system and now the aero is appearing to be disabled, I can’t guess what might have caused the same like the above user but then it is not random in my case, I am not sure about it as I don’t know how to enable the aero again, I have tried looking out for a setting to enable the aero but then I have not came across it anywhere, since I am new to windows 7 I think I am missing out something, so is there anyone who can help me out fixing this?? I also wanted to know the possible cause of this issue?? Any help regarding this issue will be highly appreciated.

For enabling the Aero in Windows 7 follow the below solution:
    • First go to start and then type “regedit” without the quotes in run and hit enter and then check out for HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM in the window that you get.
    • Now in the right pane create the below 3 DWORD (32-bit value) entries and make sure that you are setting their value to 0:
      • UseMachineCheck
      • Blur
      • Animations
    • When you are done with the same then close Regedit and go to start and type “cmd” without the quotes and with the administrative Privileges and then enter the below command as it in the command prompt window:
      Net Stop uxsms
      Net Start uxsms
    • These commands will be stopping and starting Desktop Window Manager Session Manager, when you are done with all of the above steps then turn on Aero by right clicking on desktop-> Personalize -> Select Windows Colors and you are done.

Just try it out and then let me know if it is helping, if you have any further issues with the same then feel free to ask.

If you want then you can try out the below solution for enabling the aero quickly as well:
    1. Just go in to Control Panel> System and Security> System and then click on Advanced System Settings in the Advanced System Settings.
    2. Now after that you will get a “settings window” where Performance will be the first option so just click on settings and then you will get another settings window opened and you will be on the Visual Effects tab.
    3. Here just select Adjust for Best Appearance and then click on Apply and then on ok after reboot the system and you are done.

Hey thanks for the same but I have checked out the possible cause of the issue that you have mentioned in the second post and I have performed the possible solutions that has been suggested out there but the issue is still the same. I mean that the Aero is still turning itself off randomly and I have to enable it every time making a reboot.

I don’t think that it is because of any incompatible application in my case as I have made a fresh installation of the windows 7 in my system and I have not yet installed any application, I think that there is something else going wrong , I was able to install the windows 7 without any issues and like I have mentioned earlier I am not getting any error message as such, if it would have been because of any application then I would have got a message saying theme has been changed and something like that right??

Anyways I just wanted to know that will reinstalling windows in my case will help??

Quote Originally Posted by Run.DK View Post
    Hey thanks for the same but I have checked out the possible cause of the issue that you have mentioned in the second post and I have performed the possible solutions that has been suggested out there but the issue is still the same. I mean that the Aero is still turning itself off randomly and I have to enable it every time making a reboot.

I don’t think that it is because of any incompatible application in my case as I have made a fresh installation of the windows 7 in my system and I have not yet installed any application, I think that there is something else going wrong , I was able to install the windows 7 without any issues and like I have mentioned earlier I am not getting any error message as such, if it would have been because of any application then I would have got a message saying theme has been changed and something like that right??

Anyways I just wanted to know that will reinstalling windows in my case will help??
    If you want then you can try reinstalling the windows and check out if it is making any difference in your case or not but then I think that there is something wrong with the graphic card in your case, just check out the fifth point that I have mentioned in my very first post which says “The video card in my case might not be having the latest driver or you it might not be capable of handling the aero resolution and so” so try installing the latest driver for your graphic card, if that’s not making any difference in your case then let me know which graphic card you are having in your system so that I can have a better idea of the issue that you are facing and will try to help you out with the same as well. Just check it out and then let me know what you get.