Thread: How to lock dock icons in mac OS

How to lock dock icons in mac OS

I have Mac PC and want to lock the dock icons. When I drag on any of the application icon, it accidentally gets vanish. Is there any way that I can lock these icons so that they don’t move or get disappear. Can anyone provide guide that how can I lock it?

Re: How to lock dock icons in mac OS

Yes you can lock dock icons. I also had problem using the dock icons. I used Tinker tool to lock the dock icons. Tinker tool gives you access to the additional settings. It also allows to activate the hidden features of the operating system. The changes done with help of the tool can be easily bring back to the default settings. There is a option of dock in this tool select it and make the changes in it as per your need.

You can lock the icons using parental controls. For locking icons through parental control you don’t have to log in as an administrator. This is not applicable for the administrator, this is only able for the non-administrator accounts. Follow the steps to lock the dock icons.
    • Go to System preferences.
    • Then go to Users & Groups and select account.
    • Uncheck the option allow user to administer this computer.
    • Check on enable parental control
    • If allow user to modify dock option is checked then uncheck it.

Your problem will be solved and make sure that the option for allowing the user to modify the dock option is unchecked, if the option is checked then uncheck it for locking the dock icons.

There is no option for locking the doc k icons straight away in Mac. You have to lock the icons using terminal. If you are familiar using the terminal of the mac then I suggest you to do this. If you are not familiar or not using the terminal then, I suggest you to take help of expert who has knowledge in using the terminal. Open up terminal and type as follows
    - defaults write com.apple.dock contents-immutable -bool true
    - killall Dock
    When you set the Boolean value to true it will lock the dock and when you set it to false the icons get unlock. This way you can lock and unlock the icons.

I suggest you to use deeper application to lock the icons. I have used deeper and it is very to use. Deeper is available for Mac OS only. Deeper is freely available. You can protect your dock from accidental drags, unusual clicks Install deeper and follow the steps.
    - Run the application.
    - Select dock from the top.
    - In that you will find Misc options.
    - Check for the lock icons and you are done.
    If you want to unlock the icons then follow the steps and just uncheck the lock icons. You can also restore to default settings easily.
    Bethany