Thread: Classic Shell start menu and other similar features for Windows 7

Classic Shell start menu and other similar features for Windows 7

I used Windows 7 for couple of months now and I liked it. I liked the theme of Windows 7 which provides transparency at the edges of panels. But my PC is an old one and is very low-end. So the fancy graphics of Windows 7 slows my system to a great extent. Before updating to Windows 7, I was using Windows XP with classic theme. This wouldn’t consume resources of my PC. Now in Windows 7, the animation of Start Menu popping up lags a bit, the delay is easily noticeable. I search in the control panel for settings that will lower the details that are slowing down my system. I couldn’t find much that would help me. IS there any way I can apply the theme of old Windows OS like Windows 98 and 2000 on Windows 7. IS there any patch or mod available? Also if it is available can someone explain me its features that distinguish it from the original theme of Windows 7?

Re: Classic Shell start menu and other similar features for Windows 7

A patch by name ‘Classic Shell Project’ is available on internet for download which applies the old Windows features like the start menu, windows explorer and other small features of old Window OS. The Start Menu is will look like the one in Windows 98. It will have the drag and drop function to organize the shortcuts as the use wants. Options horizontally expand the sub folders. The recently used documents are combined intone rather than having individual for every software as in original theme of Windows 7. Also the number of recent documents that has to be shown can be customized. It is available in 35 languages including Hebrew and Arabic. It is compatible with 32 bit as well as 64 bit version of the OS. It can also be changed according to the theme made by 3rd party.

The Classic Shell Project will also add the old Windows Explorer in the OS. It will support the old options like collapsing and expanding h folders and its sub-folders. It will also have usual copy, cut, paste and delete options of Windows OS. It allows addition of user’s custom buttons according to requirement. It also has he Alt + Enter function of the Windows to view the properties of the selected folder. It shows the disk usage in the status bar below the window. The disk usage properties include total space available and total space used in the disk or the drive.

The copy paste window in will also be changed. In Windows 7 original theme, if you are trying to copy a file or folder at a location where the same file or folder already exists, then it asks you to replace for every duplicate it encounters. You can select an option where it will not ask you and replace every duplicate file it encounters. But in Classic Shell theme, if a duplicate file is seen, it will provide you an extra button saying ‘Yes to all’ like in the old OS. This will perform the same action but the operation will be different from user’s side.

This theme will add an extra button at the top most panel of the Windows. It will add an up button besides previous and next button used for navigating in the folders and sub folders in one’s system. This button can be used to reach the parent folder directly rather than manually clicking the back button multiple times.

Many other things are fixed in this theme that is not present in Windows 7’s original theme. You can keep the Shift button pressed with the Star Menu open and execute multiple programs at a same time. In windows 7, when you click on shutdown option, it directly shuts down. In Windows XP and the previous Operating Systems would generate a small prompt which gave options for Restart and Log Off along with Shutdown. This feature will be added in his theme. It provides option to hide help & support. It will also provide an option where you can launch both the type of Start menus, Classic Shell as well as Windows 7’s original one in same system. You can program to launch the Classic Shell Start Menu when clicked on Start Button in the taskbar and launch original Windows 7 Start Menu when the Start button on keyboard is pressed or vice versa.

The Classic Shell theme will have the old status bar below each window. T will show the total space available in a drive, total used space in the drive. It will show the date on which it was modified and other such details.

The developers have also put the themes of other Windows’ themes for sale. They won’t be free but will cost you. If you want specifically the theme of Windows XP or Windows Vista, then you will have to purchase them.

The Classic shell theme is designed mainly for the users who prefer keyboard shortcuts more than using mouse. Also this Classic shell project is an open source project; anyone can contribute their addition or creation for development of this project. The main thing I liked about this theme is that he breadcrumb bar on top of the Windows Panel has been made visible and remains visible permanently. In the original theme of Windows 7, it would automatically hide. I needed to press alt key every time to access it.