Thread: How to place the folders in the list at the top of start Menu?

How to place the folders in the list at the top of start Menu?

Tried a lot but every time I reboot the system, the folders get back to their original place. I am using a Windows 7 64 bit system; from last few days in the start menu I am trying to place the folders first and the application shortcuts at the end of the list. There is no issue with the placement or the arrangements but then after I place everything correctly and when I restart the machine those arrangements are reversed and no changes are taken place.

I am running windows 7 from last few years but still I am unable to get used to the order of the folders and application so therefore I am trying to arrange thing as per my requirement. Can anyone help me out please?

Re: How to place the folders in the list at the top of start Menu?

I have been facing the same issue, checked and tried all possible ways but still I am unable to sort the folders of “All Programs” manually. It somehow come to it original settings once the system is restarted. The most interesting thing is that once if I make any changes and when I reboot the machine the programs are arranged alphabetically, I mean they don’t randomly gets rearranged by itself in fact they get themselves placed alphabetically.

I am sure there is nothing wrong with the system or anything instead there is some sort of changes which I need to make in the settings, but I am not sure where exactly should I go and make the appropriate changes in order to disable this automatically alphabetical sorting. Might be anyone present over here knows about this behavior, please let me know what exactly should I do.

I am sure there is nothing wrong with the system or anything instead there is some sort of changes which I need to make in the settings, but I am not sure where exactly should I go and make the appropriate changes in order to disable this automatically alphabetical sorting. Might be anyone present over here knows about this behavior, please let me know what exactly should I do.
    I am not sure but I think because of the sorting option of the start tab you are unable to make any appropriate changes, maybe “All Programs” is selected to be sorted as per the names. You can try out the following solution and let me know whether it makes any difference or not:
    • Start Menu
    • Right Click, Properties
    • Start Menu Tab
    • Customize
    • Uncheck “Sort All Programs menu by name”
    Hope this will now not allow your programs to sort alphabetically by itself.

I have been facing the same issue, checked and tried all possible ways but still I am unable to sort the folders of “All Programs” manually. It somehow come to it original settings once the system is restarted. The most interesting thing is that once if I make any changes and when I reboot the machine the programs are arranged alphabetically, I mean they don’t randomly gets rearranged by itself in fact they get themselves placed alphabetically.
    Hey I to having the same problem, at each reboot I have noticed that the programs are alphabetized again. But what exactly I am trying to do is to arrange the programs alphabetically and particularly independent of whether the program is a shortcut file or a folder in opposed to two separate alphabetized list. I am not getting any idea of how to get around this thing but yes till now the only trick I have found out is to put up each shortcut/file in a folder or else to download a kind of software in order to fix such kind of classic Shell but I am really helpless of how to initialize the work.

Anyone having any other alternate solution? I am not sure with the themes but I guess they actually do not include the variables such as customized Start Menu option.

Hey I think I do have some sort of issue with the start Menu items. My start menu is totally messed up with lots of folders and application which makes me impossible to sometime even read out the complete programs present in “All Programs”. The All Programs list is so huge that I have to literally scroll down the list in order to check out or open any of the folder present at the extreme bottom of the list.

There are certain folders which are already either present at my desktop or in any of my driver, so therefore I personally believe that their existence in the start menu is completely useless so I need to somehow delete those folders from the start menu but I am not aware of how exactly could I do this. Can any one let me know the steps of removing the unwanted files and folder from the start Menu so that I can shorten the list of programs present over there.

• Start Menu
    • Right Click, Properties
    • Start Menu Tab
    • Customize
    • Uncheck “Sort All Programs menu by name”
    This solution does work but if you try doing the same thing by moving the shortcut or a program file from the folder list and when you reboot the system you would notice that the windows 7 has somehow forced the shortcuts or the program file to be displayed with the other shortcuts and program files placing before list of folders.

When checked the windows explorer I saw the same behavior but instead it makes bit of sense in forcing the folders to be shown before files, but in all programs list it would look more sensible and logical to alphabetize the entire lists no matter whether the items is a shortcut or a folder.

First of all you need to go to:
    C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
    Now, C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

And now make a folder and then put in folders that would move them

There are certain folders which are already either present at my desktop or in any of my driver, so therefore I personally believe that their existence in the start menu is completely useless so I need to somehow delete those folders from the start menu but I am not aware of how exactly could I do this. Can any one let me know the steps of removing the unwanted files and folder from the start Menu so that I can shorten the list of programs present over there.
    1. Open Start Menu Properties
    2. Go to Start Menu tab
    3. Select Customize button for the Start Menu
    4. Over there, uncheck the check box for folders that you don’t want to see in Start Menu.
    5. click on Don’t display this item radio button individually if you need to hide any folder from the Start Menu
    6. Click OK.