Thread: Windows Aero (Tahoma font) in Windows 7

Windows Aero (Tahoma font) in Windows 7

I recently installed Windows 7 on my system. After installation I found that the text in Windows 7 looks clustered or to be precise it seems unclear. Previously I was using Windows XP and it didn’t give any such problems. I asked the technician about this said that there can’t be any problem in OS installed from original disk. I repaired Windows 7 in my system, but again the same problem persists. I updated my graphic drivers too. Can anyone tell me what the problem is?

Re: Windows Aero (Tahoma font) in Windows 7

Windows Vista and Windows 7 provide option to change the font of UI to any desired font. But this is restricted to certain parts. There is an option in both the OS called ‘ClearType’ which adds the smoothing effect to the fonts. This was meant for monitors with high resolution. If the ClearType is disabled, then the text in Windows Vista and Windows 7 give the clustered of bad looks. Another problem with the ‘ClearType’ function is that it isn’t supported on older monitors or cheaper monitor. So in older or cheaper monitor the ‘ClearType’ function again looks bad. One option to deal with this is to change the font. But again some part doesn’t change its font. So, one has to live with the ugly looking interface.

To solve this problem, Microsoft came with an patch by name Windows Aero (Tahoma font). This patch replaces all the files that the fonts those are in default version and replaces it with Tahoma font. This Tahoma font doesn’t cluster and is well supported by old and cheap monitors.

This patch replaces the aero.msstyles file used in Aero theme of Windows 7 & Vista. The Aero theme uses Segeo UI font by default. This new patch replaces the Segeo UI font with Tahoma font. It changes the font in every part of OS even in the restricted part. Tahoma at 8pt is the default font in Windows 2000 and Windows XP. It was created using Vista Style Builder 1.4 by Andreas Verhoeven. In Windows 7, the default font is Segeo UI at 9 pt. The only font that is not changed to Tahoma after patching is the font in the title bar, it is changed to Trebuchet MS at 10pt. The anti-aliasing is changed from ClearType to Standard.

In the patch, some third party programs are included. One is Universal Theme Patcher v1.5, Build 20090409. This is used to allow the use of unsigned and user developed fonts in UI of Windows Aero (Tahoma Font). It is done by Universal Theme Patcher by deepxw automatically in the component pages. Another one is NoSegoe, it changes the font of every other application that is meant to use Segeo font by default. It is developed by Steve Halpern. It is also programmed to eliminate the all the variants of Segeo that might come in other applications.

The installer can be run more than once to change or modify contents of the OS. But when uninstalling, use the official uninstaller only. Do not try to install any other such patch over it as it might create conflicts. While installing Windows Aero, every theme that has been applied will be removed and default theme will be applied for time being. The user modified theme can again be applied after it is installed. The ‘ClearType’ antialiasing function is disabled only in Administrator’s account and not in other accounts. It can be manually turned off.