Thread: Undocking toolbars in Windows 7

Undocking toolbars in Windows 7

Hi I am running Windows 7 in my Dell laptop. I have got 3 toolbars in my desktop window. I top toolbar is for drives, the bottom one is having various game icons and the left side toolbar consists of wallpapers. The taskbar is kept on the right side of the window. I wanted to know whether there was any way by which I can undock these toolbars from the taskbar. If anyone is having any solution for my problem then please help me.

Re: Undocking toolbars in Windows 7

I am not sure how it undock toolbars in Windows 7 but I am sure about how to perform it in windows XP and Windows Vista. You can try doing any of those in Windows 7 and check whether they work for windows 7 also or not. You can perform the undocking of toolbar either by unlock the taskbar and dragging it to any of the edges of the screen where you wish to place the toolbar or you can create a folder of it on the desktop and drag its edge to other edge of your desktop screen, thus you can have multiple toolbars other than the usual taskbar.

Hey dude, unfortunately the floating toolbars feature is not included in Windows 7 like it was there in the previous Windows XP and Windows Vista. So it is next to impossible to perform the task you were wishing to perform in the desktop window of your Windows 7 running laptop. May be you should wait until Microsoft releases a fix which can solve this issue in windows 7. I am also waiting for the solution for this issue from pretty long time.

It was very kind of you guys to reply my thread. But I am feeling bad after knowing that my query won’t be getting solved at all. It is damn frustrating now. How can Microsoft eliminate such an amazing feature from its Windows 7 Operating System, without even giving an alternative for the same purpose? Still does anyone know about any alternative by which we can perform undocking of these toolbars across the desktop screen. Please help me with your solutions. Your suggestion will be appreciated.

You can make use of some gadgets or third party software to perform the task of undocking toolbars. I have read in many forums about some software called “UltraMon” which is capable of performing task similar to your requirement. So you should probably search for the UltraMon software on Internet and download it from the official website of UltraMon and install it in your system. Once you have installed the software, start the application and try experimenting with it. I know that it is possible to move the start menu on top left corner of the screen, quick launch and links at the bottom area of the screen.

I have read about this issue in many forums and realized it to be a common problem among all the users who have migrated from Windows XP or Windows Vista to the Windows 7 OS. After searching for an alternative option on Internet I finally found a utility which can perfectly solve your problem. The Rocket Dock works pretty well on Windows 7 and it is free utility software as well. Search for Rocket Dock utility software on Internet and download it in your system. Follow the on screen instruction to install it and run the application. Your problem will be solved.