Thread: Program shortcuts extensions are changed in desktop

Program shortcuts extensions are changed in desktop

All of the program shortcuts are changed in my desktop screen, whatever are stored there. I am using a Dell inspiron laptop, which is running with windows 7 ultimate OS. The system was running fine till the last two days, but suddenly from last morning I encountered this problem first time in my system, all of the program shortcuts are changed from .exe to .lnk. I need to every time execute nay application from program installed folder under C:// drive. What should I do to overcome from this problem suggest me some thing o resolve this.

Re: Program shortcuts extensions are changed in desktop

As per my opinion I would like to recommend you to scan your system with an up to date antivirus program, I think this is happening for the virus effect and for this there is only solution to resolve this issue, make sure that the antivirus database is up to dated and is working fine with all of its features. Try it, but after this if still you are facing this then instead of manually scan the system try this in online with direct connect your system with the develop0er database.

The problem that you mentioned in your post, I was also facing this one, and then when I searched about the solution of this issue in different web site, in maximum of them I found the change user profile as the recommended option, if you did not found any virus as a cause of this issue. Now I also like to suggest you to change the user profile and then check whether the problem is arriving or not. Though I was also get helped form this process, so I hope it will also help you to overcome from the problem.

Almost similar issue that I am facing with the desktop program shortcuts those I stored there during the installation. In my case there is bit change on the problem, the extensions are changed but not all of them, few of them are changed those are not allow me to execute and few of the others are with the correct extension but also acting like the others, I tried with the scan process, but found nothing. Is there any other additional solution for me to resolve this issue?

System restore might be help you to overcome from this, to perform this open start menu and then from accessories>>system tool click on the system restore option, it will ask you to choose the restore point for further process. Select the correct one where you did not encountered any such type of problem , now wait till the process completes and requires for reboot your system, do this. I hope this will definitely help you.

Though the problem is also corrupting other installed application in your system then I think you need to apply any windows related trick, if this is occurring for the operating system., insert they os installation disc and click on install now button, now from the start up screen click on windows repair option, it will take a lot time to complete the process, wait till then. I am sure it will help you, which was also get relieved me with the similar type of issues that I was encountered in few months back.