Thread: Desktop wallpaper goes missing in Windows XP

Desktop wallpaper goes missing in Windows XP

I am using Windows XP, Service Pack 3. After every reboot my desktop wallpaper goes missing. But my background color, icons and taskbar are unaffected by that. Also my system is not connected to the Internet. This problem din existed while I used my old monitor. It started when I started using my new monitor. I also checked the Display properties and it shows that the image is already being selected. It is happening with all bmp pictures; even the default ones. What should I do.? HELP!!

Re: Desktop wallpaper goes missing in Windows XP

Dude, try doing this. Click on Start, then click on run. Type gpedit.msc and enter. Select administrative templates. Then go to Desktop and select Active desktop. Enable Active Desktop option. Apply and close it. Then choose your desired wallpaper and apply it. Hope this will help you out with your query. And as always, are you using legal Windows XP SP3 and have all the updates?

According to me, it seems like some form of Malware is running on your computer system, which is reverting your selected wallpaper into black screen. Or maybe your registry is infected with some kind of virus or malware. Use some Antivirus and antimalware software to find if the trouble is due to any malware or virus and try fixing it. Also check for some Autoruns. They may also cause this trouble.

I enabled Active Desktop, but no help. It worked for a while and then after sometime it again went to black screen. And as my system is not networked, it doesn’t seem to be updated. I also checked for any sort of malware or virus existence in my system but no malware or virus found. Anyone else with better solution, please reply.

Does the problem exist only when you are using bmp images or on other also? Try using JPG, JPEG images. And if still the problem exists then I guess there is a problem with the windows XP you have installed. Try reinstalling the Windows XP if you are fine with that. Or else before doing that, call the guy from whom you brought your new monitor and ask him to do the proper monitor setting.