Thread: Images of icons are missing after rebooting the computer

Images of icons are missing after rebooting the computer

I am having very frustrating problem from past few days on the computer of mine. Well some of the shortcuts located on the desktop and start menu items are missing the images on the computer. I should learn you with an example. Windows Live icon which is on the taskbar having default MS OS image on it. Many icons on the computer were missing the images. Well let me know if you have the similar kind of the problem on the computer. Also possible solution to fix the problem of mine.

Re: Images of icons are missing after rebooting the computer

I don’t know why this happing on the computer. But I can let you know about the root cause if you answer the below mentioned question. First of all let me know which operating system do you have installed on the computer of yours? let me know whether there is any hardware or software changes on the computer of yours. I think this kind of issue is also generated if there is virus attack on the computer so let me know which antivirus program you have installed on the computer of yours.

Well looking at the situation I am suggesting that you need to rebuild the icon cache database on the computer of yours.
    • You have to close all the folder or program which already opened on the computer of yours.
    • You have to launch the Task Manager and kill the Explorer.exe process from the Process tab. You have to right click on it and choose End Process.
    • Now launch the command prompt from the File menu and click on New Task and enter CMD.EXE and click on OK button.
    • You have to copy paste the following command on the command prompt and execute the same by hitting enter.
    Code:
    CD /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local
    DEL IconCache.db /a
    EXIT
    Now you have to launch the EXPLORER.EXE from the Task Manager and see whether issue is persisting or not.

I think this particular problem is happening due to corrupted user profile of yours. I recommend that you should create a new user account on the computer and see whether it is persisting or not. In order to create a new user accounts you can use the following instruction.
    • You have to click on the Start button and go for Control Panel and simply click on User Accounts and Family Safety. Now go for User Accounts.
    • Now click on Manage another account you need to enter administrator password if it is prompted.
    • You have to click on Create a new account.
    • You should enter desire name to the user account and click on the Account Type and go for Create Account.

I don’t why this problem is happening on the computer of yours. But I can let you something which you can use to fix the problem of yours. You should download Fixit from the official website of the Microsoft. Once you have downloaded the Fixit you need to install the same on the computer. You should run the same use the instruction which is provided by the Fixit Wizard. Let me know Fixit helped you to solve the problem of yours.

I am suspecting that this particular problem is happening due to virus attack on the computer of yours. I recommend that you should install a good antivirus program on the computer and update the same. Once you have installed and updated you have to run the same on the computer. Once scanning gets completed you have to restart the computer. I am hoping that after virus scan your problem will no longer exist.

I am suggesting couple of thing in order to fix the problem on the computer of yours. First of all you need to reboot the computer in Safe mode and see whether images of the icons appearing or not. Also try to perform System Restore on the computer of yours. You have to restore the computer to the previously created system restore point and see whether images of the icons appear or not. Let me know the results of above mentioned thing.