Thread: Desktop icons changed automatically

Desktop icons changed automatically

Hello friends, please help me to overcome this issue as quickly as I can. I have a Windows xp installed on my system and it was working fine until yesterday when I found out that the icons on the desktop as well in the start menu has changed or the name of that icons has changed. Also, some of the icons has even dsiapered and I am not able to locate the icons else where example the recycle bin. I am using this system for the past one year without any changes in the operating system so can any one help me to know what exactly is the problem that I have been facing and can I overcome this issue.

Re: Desktop icons changed automatically

Hey, I would like to know that did you download any stuff from the internet the last time when you turned off the system. I think that some virus might have got entered into your system which is causing this problem. SO I would suggest you to use a nice antivirus program and heal all the virus that are there in your system. You must use a legal antivirus software that has a registry key for it. Also. make sure that in the future you should not download anything that would effect the system in some way or the other.

This kind of problem usually occurs when some one gains control of our computer system and would do all the activities so as to harm the computer. usually this is caused by trojan horse a malicious program which ones enter yous system will take full control of the computer system and can do any thing what ever he wants. So I think that the only way to get rid of this problem is to format the system as these trojan are very hard to remove even through the anti viruses software.

Hey I have a legal registered anti virus software on my system and after whet happened to the desktop icons I scanned my system with the anti virus that I have but it was not showing any virus in the search result. I don't know whether this is caused by some malicious programs or not but what I know is that I cannot format the PC as I am having very important data on the system which I cannot loose. So please suggest some other solution form where I can be able to solve the issue without reformatting the system.

This is a very strange situation you are currently in I think that the only solution is to format the system. Also, if you want you can try rearranging the icons which you want on the desktop or you can also search for their shortcuts by going in the drivers. Place the icons on the keyboard and rename whatever icons that has not lost their names and then restart your system to see if the problem perishes or not. If not then the only option left is to format the system.