Thread: Compatibility of Windows Vista 32-bit on a Windows 7 64-bit processor

Compatibility of Windows Vista 32-bit on a Windows 7 64-bit processor

I am currently working on Windows Vista 32-bit Ultimate version. Now I wanted to upgrade my Windows 7 32-bit unlimited version to Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate version. In order to upgrade my vista I have gone through the documentation it says that this is possible, but through the procedure of a custom installation. Although this process make perfect common sense. BUT, then I study an article of vista that if I perform a custom installation from an upgrade disc I can't activate the new copy of Windows 7? Is this true then please reply me if you know answer of this question? If you have better solutions in your mind then reply that method. Please somebody help me I am in confusion.

Re: Compatibility of Windows Vista 32-bit on a Windows 7 64-bit processor

With the help of the upgrade disk you can simply perform both the process of clean and custom installation. Just you need to perform the clean installation, there is no in place upgrade path from Windows Vista 32 bit to Windows 74 bit. Using the following method you can upgrade your
    computer. Using the Windows 7 64 bit bootable disk, install the Windows 7 program called Windows Easy Transfer Utility from the DVD .In order to find the, x:\support\migwiz, 'x:' represents the name of your disk drive. On which you will see a collection of files in the respected folder, the important one you need to look for and double click is 'migsetup'. Then run it and create a WET file (Windows Easy Transfer file), if you have an external hard disk, you can save a copy for further use when you do a clean install of Windows 7 64 bit disk. Once you have done with the upper step then, simply do a clean install of Windows 7 64 bit disk. In Windows 7 64 bit disk, and launch Windows Easy Transfer, further follow the on screen wizard, then point to where you stored the the WET(Windows Easy Transfer ) file which you have stored on external hard disk, and it will restore your personal files and settings. Reinstall any the applications that you need in order to work. Due to the reason you want to travel from 32 to 64 bit, you will need to have a custom install in your computer, i.e. clean installation. This process involves booting from the disk and formatting the drive on which Windows Vista installed. Many persons have reported of problems of activating the software, best workaround for this is to use the computerized phone system to activate software.
    Steps to activate Windows 7 manually are as below:
    1. Click Start button, and enter “slui.exe “4 in the Search box type
    2. Stroke ENTER key on your Keyboard.
    3. Select your Country from the following option.
    4. Click on the Phone Activation option, and hold on
    for a real person.

As far as my experience says that you can use an upgrade bootable disk, there is no method to upgrade 32 bit into 64 bit directly all you will have to do clean installation that is to install fresh copy of 64 bit. This means you'll have suffer with the headache of reinstalling all your programs that you have installed, but you can take a back up of all your useful files and settings to an external storage device before doing so with Windows Easy Transfer. Here are the steps according to Microsoft:
    1. Start Windows Upgrade Advisor to whether there are any known issues that might affect the installation and whether you should install the 32 or 64 bit version of Windows 7 it will be comfortable with your system configuration.
    2. Back up your files and settings that is important to you. To avoid losing anything you'll need to save copies of all the files, photos, and other information you want to keep on to an external hard drive for example portable hard drive or pen drive. Windows Easy Transfer is a free tool you can use to copy your information but it also didn’t allow you to save your programs from your PC and then put them back after you install Windows 7. If you don't have an external hard drive you won't be able to use Windows Easy Transfer, instead you can copy files you want to keep on a USB flash drive, or on CD/DVD.
    3. Locate the original installation disks and any associated product/license keys for the programs currently on your computer because you'll need to manually reinstall all your programs after you install Windows 7. You may be able to download some programs from the Internet that you need for your computer. Place the Windows 7 DVD into your PC, restart, and boot from the DVD. When asked "Which type of installation do you want?" click "Custom or advanced."
    4. After Windows 7 is installed you can use Windows Easy Transfer to restore all your files & settings that you have stored, and use your installation disks to install all your programs which you need.

While searching I came across this thread as it "appeared" to shot my issue exactly, but upon navigating to x:\support\migwiz, 'x:' and double-clicking 'migsetup.exe I am returned the following message: x: represent the drive on which you have the program. You will get the message that the version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you are running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher for up gradation. In order to upgrade your system you will have to install fresh copy of window vista.