Thread: Want to apply Iconfiles (.icns) to a folder

Want to apply Iconfiles (.icns) to a folder

I saw a different thing on my friend laptop that is, an icon file is applied to a folder and files. Yesterday, I was trying to apply an .icns file to a certain folder, but I am not succeeded. I don’t know what I should do for that, if anyone having knowledge on this then please reply. Any suggestions will appreciate. Thanks in advance.

Re: Want to apply Icon files (.icns) to a folder

For that you have to get an application called as IconDroplet. Then you have keep the icon file in that, then after that a new file will create using the contents as icon of icon file, which you have copied to the IconDroplet. Then you have to do some setting that are, go to the Get Info panel and click on any of the icon and press the command C to make a copy. Then open the Get info panel again for folder or file you want, click on its icon and press command V for paste that icon.

Re: Want to apply Iconfiles (.icns) to a folder

The icon you are having save it in PNG format and open an application named Icon composer by going into /Developer/Applications/Utilities. This is an apple’s developer tools and it is available for free. Copy the icons to this Icon composer file and save it, by doing this it will create an .icns file. Then at the end, for applying icons to files/folder attach .icns file to the file or folder you want. I hope this information may help you.

Re: Want to apply Icon files (.icns) to a folder

I have tried to do similar thing by using Designer Icons and believe it works for me. First you have to download DMG file and then mount its disk image and open it and look for the ICNS file. Copy anyone icons to the clipboard, and then you have to paste it to your folder or file. By doing this you can apply .icns file to folder or file. If you are having any other query then reply me.

Re: Want to apply Iconfiles (.icns) to a folder

I have gone through your question and I think first choose the icon you want to use and then select the application by pressing File-Get Info on menu bar, then copy that icon by pressing Edit-Copy. Then you have to go to the file and click on the Get info, for getting folder info and then select the icon and go to the Edit-Paste.