Thread: Desktop background is blank via remote desktop

Desktop background is blank via remote desktop

I was trying to connect my Windows Home Server from remote desktop and here is where I got the problem. I could not see the background. I made the necessary changes on the server to get the background but it didn't worked out I was left with black screen. Now this feature is locked and I am only allowed to change it with when I am directly on the server. I am not getting how to solve this problem and so need assistance. Can anyone help me in this matter?

Re: Desktop background is blank via remote desktop

The problem seems to be related to Windows Aero functionality. Try to enable it and see if it works. Right click on an empty area on your desktop and select Personalize. Click on Window Color and Appearance link. Click “Open classic appearance properties for more color options”. Select "Windows Aero" in the list that appears as the new scheme. Click on Apply and then click OK.

There is no problem in this. This is how Windows Home Server is designed. Basically, by design, Windows server doesn't show any desktop background on a client machine. So this is the reason why you are unable to get any desktop background via remote desktop. However, if you want then you can change it by going to Group Policy Editor on the server and changing the necessary policy. It is generally located at Local Computer Policy - Computer Configuration - Administrative Templates - Windows Components - Terminal Services. The policy name is "Enforce Removal of Remote Desktop Wallpaper". If the status is set to Enabled,then Disable it to let it display the desktop background.

I don't think there is some policy issue. I think the person is not getting anything on the screen and that's what his post is all about. I have seen this kind of issues occurring to some of my clients computer. It is actually the problem of graphics drivers on Windows Home Server. Try to install it and see if that works.

I don't understand what others have told to you until now but according to me it is happening because you have "Solid Colors" selected on your Desktop properties. Go to Desktop and select Properties. A drop-down menu will appear. What it is currently set to? If it is "Solid Colors", then change it to "Pictures". This should solve your problem.