Thread: Disable all font smoothing in Windows 7 (ie: including taskbar, menus, control panel, etc.)

Disable all font smoothing in Windows 7 (ie: including taskbar, menus, control panel, etc.)

I have recently installed Windows 7 on my computer, upgraded from crappy Windows Vista. I remember I have performed some steps to disable font smoothing and anti-aliasing etc but in doubt about it. Does anyone know how to do so in Windows 7? Until now I have only tried switching to Classic mode in order to disable smoothing but I know this is not the one which will help completely. There should be some other steps to be performed for the same. Please help!

Re: Disable all font smoothing in Windows 7 (ie: including taskbar, menus, control panel, etc.)

Go to Control Panel, click on "Advanced system settings" link. Systems properties window should popup. Click on Advanced tab and then Settings button. Under Visual Effects tab, click on Custom options and check mark "Smooth edges of screen fonts". Press OK button and you are done with the changes that you want for font smoothing and anti-aliasing.

Re: Disable all font smoothing in Windows 7 (ie: including taskbar, menus, control panel, etc.)

1. Open Registry Editor.
    2. Navigate through HKEY_CURRENT_USER, Control Panel and Desktop.
    3. Set FontSmoothingType to 1.
    4. Set FontSmoothing to 1.
    5. Reboot.

Thanks but that didn't worked either. Even after setting all FontSmoothing and FontSmoothingStyle to 1 in registry, the fonts appear green and still smoother. The ClearType font smoothing makes the text blurry and hard to read. Is there any other method or tweak it?

Microsoft developed ClearType technology to improve the appearance of font rendering as well as reading performance on computer displays. However if you dislike ClearType and want to change this setting to bi-level rendering then type "Appearance" into the start menu search box. Select "Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows" from the Control Panel. Modify the setting under the custom option which is "Smooth edges of screen fonts", turn it off.