Thread: Desktop icon in Windows 7 keep moving every time

Desktop icon in Windows 7 keep moving every time

Hi,, i have recently upgraded one of my system Vista system to Windows 7. I liked this Windows and its rich feature. But only the pain am getting is its desktop icons. Whenever i start my computer, i find the icons in different order and not in the one that i have had arrange. I need to arrange it every time. I had also tried Auto Arrange and Align to Grid from desktop context menu but stiill the same.

I have never seen this problem in XP or Vista. Why is it happening in Windows 7. Could you guys help me out of this ? Its really annoying an wasting my time. Thanks for all your helps.

Re: Desktop icon in Windows 7 keep moving every time

Yeah, this problem is faced by many users but but not only on Windows 7, it was on Vista as well. Anyways, i also faced this problem some months ago but fortunately i found a solution for the same. Its an application named Layout.zip. I tried many things doing itself on windows like Autoarrange, checked and unchecked grid but it won't solve the problem. You will to install this application to fix this problem.

Download the app from the attachment.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks for sharing this useful friends. I wad also in search of this from long time as am facing the same problem on my Win7 32 bit. I also tried to search some solution for this on Google but din't found. Anyways, i finally got it here.

I just downloaded the attachment but while double clicking on the same i found that i has some dll files and will make some tweak in registry. So i wanted to know, is it safe to use or install this application ?

Yes offcourse it is. I check that attachment and found that it is same like "Icon Restore". When my desktop icons started moving around i used this application and it worked, both on windows 7 and Vista. "Icon Restore" was also containing DLL files and it is safe to install. Just go ahead and if you face any problem or need help, do reply here.

Download Icon Restore.

Once your screen resolution changes, Windows automatically redirected organizes all your icons and all that hard work is lost ! Actually, Icon Restore is made to install DLL on your system and that file is know as LAYOUT.DLL that is equipped with a kit of resources and registry entries. Once installed, you will find two new options when you right-click on the icon of any Windows system, that is “Save Desktop Icon Layout” and “Restore Desktop Icon Layout.”

As soon as you have set the desktop icons in the preferred direction, go ahead and right-click My Computer and select Save Desktop Icon Layout. At this instant,if the resolution of your desktop screen or not at all changes, you must turn on your system in Safe Mode, etc. .., you can effortlessly restore your earlier posts icon by choosing Restore Desktop Icon Layout right from the context menu. This app is really nice and free.