Thread: Decrease space in Recycle Bin to increase storage space

Decrease space in Recycle Bin to increase storage space

I am using Windows 7 Ultimate operating system and the space of my hard disk is 320 GB. I want to know that how to decrease space in Recycle Bin to increase storage space. Can this be done using any of the techniques. I want to know this because whenever I delete any file, the recycle bin shows just one file, but the the used space in the C Drive increases a lot. Please reply soon and thank you in advance for any help.

Re: Decrease space in Recycle Bin to increase storage space

According to me, the Recycle Bin utilizes the size that it requires automatically. This means that the size allocated for its storage is default. You need not do the setting for the same. So, you cannot decrease space in Recycle Bin to increase storage space. Also, this space that is used by the Recycle Bin is not very much. It is very little as compared to the whole hard disk space.

The Recycle Bin occupies the space in the system only when some file is deleted and it goes into the bin. I suppose that there are many unnecessary programs installed in your system. You may not have an idea of the same. So, to decrease space in Recycle Bin to increase storage space in the C Drive, go to the Control Panel and uninstall all the applications and programs that not required.

Have you tried going to the Properties of the recycle bin? Right-click on the recycle bin and go to the properties. There you can set the space that you want to allow for the system to use. So, the space of the C Drive does not determine the space that is used by the system. There, you will have to select the option of custom size and it will help to decrease space in Recycle Bin to increase storage space.

The system has been affected by some kind of infection, that is using the system space. The infections are actually installed into the system and many-a-times, additional infections are downloaded from the internet. So, as it is not possible to decrease space in Recycle Bin to increase storage space, you have to scan the entire system and delete all the infections that are detected. This will free up some of the disk space.

Inorder to remove the junk files in the system, I suggest you to run all the following tools:
    1. TuneUp Utilities:
      For optimizing the system.
    2. Registry Mechanic:
      To get rid of the registry errors.
    3. SpeedUp My PC:
      For overall optimization and for RAM freeup.

This will in-turn help to decrease space in Recycle Bin to increase storage space.

Quote Originally Posted by Gusgr8 View Post
    Have you tried going to the Properties of the recycle bin? Right-click on the recycle bin and go to the properties. There you can set the space that you want to allow for the system to use. So, the space of the C Drive does not determine the space that is used by the system. There, you will have to select the option of custom size and it will help to decrease space in Recycle Bin to increase storage space.

Ha that was good!
    i just wonder why I did not thought of it before!!!!
    properties of recycle bin

If you have multiple hard drives (or partitions), you can configure the properties of the trash independently for each reader. For my part I have two partitions. To do this check so "Configure drives independently"then click the tab for your first recor. Set a maximum size that the basket can be used on this partition and click on the second. Note that the C: drive I have my system Windows XP and my programs, then the D: drive I have all my data. So I can reserve more space on the D: partition (especially since I have more space) or even set space to 0% on the C: partition but you can do as you wish, the main is not to define a size too large because the trash is not a repository of data.