Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Delete Mass Quick Launch Icons

Customize Desktop

Old 01-02-2010
Vulnerator

sad Delete Mass Quick Launch Icons

While I was away from the computer for about a minute, one of my mates moved almost 600 shortcuts to recycle bin to the quick launch toolbar. I should probably explain that this is on windows xp pro and that I do not have administrator privileges. Is there a simple way of getting rid of this short of a macro or just disabling the quick launch? I know I shouldn't have left the account logged on!

Thanks in advance,
Tom

Old 01-02-2010

Re: Delete Mass Quick Launch Icons

You can try going to the following directory C:\Documents and Settings\USER NAME\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch. So, if your user name is Tom, the folder would be C:\Documents and Settings\Tom\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch. There you should see everything that appears on the Quick Launch bar, just like another folder. So you can delete, copy, edit or move files easily. Although, it has been known under some circumstances that Microsoft Windows XP to make a second directory which would be like this C:\Documents and Settings\USER NAME.COMPUTER NAME\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch. So if Tom was on computer WORK53, the direcory would be C:\Documents and Settings\Tom.WORK53\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch.

To sort out the problem of your mates doing this sort of thing again, on some computers if you press CTRL+ALT+DELETE, you get a box up giving the option to lock the computer. Also, you can open the Task Manager (some computers this would open automatically if you CTRL+ALT+DELETE), open the Shut Down menu and it should be the last option on the menu. Windows+L may also work. The great thing about this is that you reactivate using your password and your windows should be exactly as you left them.
Hope this works.

Last edited by Malcolm W : 01-02-2010 at 10:22 PM. Reason: I accidently posted without finishing the post
Old 02-02-2010
Vulnerator

Re: Delete Mass Quick Launch Icons

Unfortunately C: drive is hidden from me. My files are on a network drive and the Windows folder inside doesn't contain anything promising. As well as this the lock option is also disabled so I've left a bat file on my desktop so that I can lock the computer. I guess its probably easiest to turn off quick launch!

Thanks for trying!
Tom S

TechArena Community > Software > Customize Desktop
Tags: