Thread: Can i lock Windows 7 Start Menu

Can i lock Windows 7 Start Menu

Hi, i had recently upgraded one of my system to Windows 7 and hence am not much familiar about it settings and need help form you. Actually, this system is at my home and many of my friends uses it without my permission and they use to make changes in the same. But the worst part for me is when i see some changes in the Start menu. Is there any way to block or lock my Windows 7 Start Menu so that they cannot make any changes in the same ? If yes, please let me know soon. Thanks for all your helps.

Re: Can i lock Windows 7 Start Menu

Its really very annoying when any user changes the content or appearance of the Start menu. Fortunately, there is a way to block it by modifying the Windows registry. Here is what you need to do:-

• Click the Start button.
    • In the search field, type the command regedit and press Enter.
    • Now locate the following key:
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER, Software, Microsoft, Windows, CurrentVersion, Policies.
    • Click the Edit menu, click New then click Key.
    • Name the new value Explorer.
    • Then click on the Edit menu, click New then DWORD Value 32-bit.
    • Name the new value and press NoChangeStartMenu.
    • Double click the new value, enter 1 into the Value data and click OK.
    • Close the Registry Editor and restart your computer.

Thats it. Now it will be impossible to add, remove or move icons in the Start menu.

To prevent your windows 7 start menu from any changes just browse to HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Policies \ Explorer. Select the folder "Explorer" in the left and right-click on the right side. In the menu that appears, choose "New" then "DWORD Value". After validating the creation of the key, give the name "NoChangeStartMenu" and value "1". OK and restart the computer.

If anyone has change your Startmenu settings, you easily restore it to default. To restore the default Start menu open the Properties of the Taskbar and Start Menu, click the Start button , Click Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then click Properties Taskbar and Start Menu. Click on the Start Menu tab, then click Customize. In the Customize dialog box on the Start menu, click Use default settings, then click OK.

hey friends, thanks for sharing this useful info. I also have some similar question regarding the start menu of windows 7. As my computer is connected to the local group network, one of my friend has made a shortcut for the same in my start menu but someone has changed the settings and it is disappeared. I am not able to bring it back after restoring as well. Do you guys know how to make a shortcut for local network in windows 7 start menu ? Help appreciated.

Re: Make a shortcut for local network in windows 7 start menu

If your computer is part of a local group in your local network, you can display a shortcut to it in the Start menu. Just follow these steps for the same:-

1. Click the right mouse button on the Start menu and click Properties.
    2. In the menu that appears, open the Start Menu tab.
    3. Click Customize.
    4. Then check the box Residential Group twice and confirm by OK.
    5. The icon Residential Group is present in the Start menu.

And you are done !!