Thread: Unknown system tray icon

Unknown system tray icon

Hi guys. A new icon appeared in my system tray yesterday and I can't figure out what it is. It's a blue icon with a capital K in it. I can double click on it, or right click and it gives me the same result. A small window pops up asking me to login by entering a password. Obviously I don't know what the hell the password is.

This is what I've tried so far:
    1. I tried typing in password and admin just in case but neither worked.
    2. I tried looking in process explorer, but it didn't show me anything like it or anything unusual.
    3. I tried running msconfig and looking at startup, but I don't see anything out of the ordinary.
    4. I tried going to regedit and going to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run, but that doesn't give me anything either.

I am at a loss. Any help would be very much appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Unknown system tray icon

It is possible that the "unknown system tray icon" is a virus or more specifically a trojan horse. Such trojan horses seem to be genuine programs from outside, but they internally work in a malicious manner. So, I suggest you not to enter any sort of password in it may provide the information to the user and it may enable an unauthorized access to the attacker into the system. Scan the system with a well updated antivirus and it may hopefully get rid of the problem.

Seems like you have installed some applications, that requires the password for opening. I think that you should get some additional service in the startup. So try to check it again and remove that. Looks like someone has installed this application to protect PC from unauthorized users. If nothing is working for you, then try to repair your operating system. Before that try to uninstall the application from the Control Panel.

kevintechie Guest

smile Re: Unknown system tray icon

Check the programs that startup with your computer. To do this (if you have XP) go to Start > Run >type "msconfig" > click on the "Startup" tab and see what programs are checked. If you're not sure what something is, google the "Startup Item" name. If it's something malicious you'll be able to find out that way.

Try the solutions ablove that would be useful for you.

Hi there

if the icon you're talkin' about is this

what you have is a Keylogger.. more especifically 'All in one keylogger'

if you don't know the password all you have to do is re-install the program with any version and set a password of your own and then uninstall the software...

Or you can wait, if you have a trial version, for it to expire, and then a window will pop up giving you the option to unlock, uninstall, shut down or buy. You can choose shut down and the program will never bother you again and you won't see the icon in your system tray.

Note: if you choose uninstall option from above it will ask you to write the password as when you try to open it

The software page is relytec.com

Please let me know if you solved your problem