Thread: Can't Save Settings in Windows XP

Can't Save Settings in Windows XP

I'm really hoping someone here can help because this has been vexing me for quite some time now.

I've got a fully licensed version of Windows XP SP3 on my box. A few months ago, my wife accidentally downloaded a nasty virus which managed to mess up our computer (no anti virus software could remove it - it just kept replicating in the registry). I re-formatted the drive and re-installed the OS based on the downloaded SP2 files and created a new boot disk. I choose to set up two accounts during the install and since the install I haven't been able to save some personal settings (like custom sounds, for example. If I pick a custom sound for login, it plays when my wife logins in, too. If I set the speakers to 'No Speakers', it changes it back to 7.1 Home Theatre Speakers although I've never selected that myself).

I did see this thread (Unable to save any settings on Windows XP) and deleted all instances of the NoSaveSetting from my registry, but no luck. I did buy Norton Utilities after the nasty virus incident but I've also tried turning off the Registry Monitor but still no luck.

Can anyone help?

Re: Can't Save Settings in Windows XP

Hi,

I can understand your problem. i am also having the same problem. i have formatted my PC lots of time i didn't come up with the proper solution. Every time i searched but i didn't find anything helpful.

Finally i have taken the Anti-virus and his latest update in USB Drive and formatted my OS and reinstalled the OS. After that I have installed the Antivirus with the latest definition without entering any of the drive. And Now PC is working properly with my setting. So you do effort and once format your Os and do the same.

thanks may be appreciated.

The possibility is due to the unsupported antivirus which is unable to detect or delete the virus from your system. The database of your antivirus or security tool might not be updated. Troubleshoot your system and install it with AVG 8.5 updated antivirus software and run the scan process. It may help you out in saving your settings then. Good luck.

But could a virus hang around even after a full re-format? I've had AVG 8.5 since it happened and the scans don't show anything. Just upgraded to 9 and same story - no virus's found.